PDA

View Full Version : Does a foam gun cut down on time?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
09-20-2013, 05:57 PM
I have been doing a small amount of work on the side, I have been working on heavily soiled cars that have never been washed, usually crossovers. I have a couple of questions
I have a hose , not power washer
I have been using a montana boars hair brush
will it work with regular car soap?
should I get one in general? I dont know if it would be worth it to get one to same time

KS_Detailing
09-20-2013, 06:13 PM
I think there was a thread on this topic just the other day. It probably adds more time since its an extra step. The benefit is if you let the foam dwell on the car for a few minutes it will make the next step of hand washing easier since it will break down the dirt on the car. I started using a foam cannon a few months ago and I like it. Its maybe an extra few minutes. I have a quick release on my pressure washer so I take it off rinse then hand wash :props:

Setec Astronomy
09-20-2013, 06:14 PM
No.

KS_Detailing
09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
found the thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/70573-those-who-use-foam-cannon.html

tswitz
09-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Just used my foam cannon for the first time the other night. If you put the soap on really thick like shaving cream that you've seen on some videos, you'll go through a lot! I almost went through my whole liter of Iron X Snow Soap.

I then tried using the cannon with Meq's Gold Class Car Wash and was able to get it to foam up as well. Again - put it on real thick like shaving cream and went through about 1/4 of a gallon. I think you could use just about any car wash soap with the cannon and get it to foam. But how much product you'll use is probably dependent on the brand of soap.

Kacz
09-20-2013, 06:58 PM
It probably depends on how you use it and where.

I use the gun AS I'm cleaning the car, not as a pre soaker and I use 2 rinse buckets, but this is at my house. I would think as maybe as a mobile detailer it would take more time, but that's a guess because I don't travel to do details/don't have my own business.

Guns and cannons IMO help you get better results during a wash though, so its worth every penny to me.

Lexi65
09-20-2013, 07:43 PM
I have been doing a small amount of work on the side, I have been working on heavily soiled cars that have never been washed, usually crossovers. I have a couple of questions
I have a hose , not power washer
I have been using a montana boars hair brush
will it work with regular car soap?
should I get one in general? I dont know if it would be worth it to get one to same time

I disagree that thick foam is helpful... If you ever watch
the video from Larry at Ammo NYC, you will see that a less
thick soap from the foam gun has the effect of the dirt actually
running off the paint. Will try to copy the link and post it here
if my IPad cooperates.

Just my 2 cents.

Lexi65
09-20-2013, 07:48 PM
I disagree that thick foam is helpful... If you ever watch
the video from Larry at Ammo NYC, you will see that a less
thick soap from the foam gun has the effect of the dirt actually
running off the paint. Will try to copy the link and post it here
if my IPad cooperates.

Just my 2 cents.

Here's the link...very interesting IMHO!

Basic Car Wash | AMMO NYC (http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/basic-car-wash/)

silverfox
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
If the foam is just sitting on the car it's useless. You want it running off the paint like an avalanche taking dirt with it. I actually prefer a foam gun and a hose instead of a high pressure washer. HP washers don't put out the water volume that a hose will. It's about water volume and foam flowing OFF the paint, and not about thickness of foam.

Lexi65
09-20-2013, 08:40 PM
If the foam is just sitting on the car it's useless. You want it running off the paint like an avalanche taking dirt with it. I actually prefer a foam gun and a hose instead of a high pressure washer. HP washers don't put out the water volume that a hose will. It's about water volume and foam flowing OFF the paint, and not about thickness of foam.

:props: :iagree:

Meticulous-Detail
09-20-2013, 10:02 PM
I like to keep my foam gun on setting C and Meg's hyper wash is a great inexpensive foaming soap that cleans well too.

Pureshine
09-20-2013, 11:04 PM
I watched the video he needs some wheel woolies and a Master blaster is way safer than his way of drying.

tswitz
09-20-2013, 11:10 PM
I just pulled up Chemical Guys video of foaming a car. I think my mistake was I didn't dilute it in the bottle as you can see at 1:18 in the video of him adding Mr. Pink to the cannon.

MR. PINK Super Suds Shampoo - Chemical Guys Car Wash FOAM CANNON - BEST CAR WASH EPIC FOAM - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SS66yCEtwQ#t=266)

I guess I got thrown off because the Iron X Snow Soap said on the bottle not to dilute if using a cannon. I should have diluted the Meg's Gold that I used I guess. Oh well...live and learn.

But as you watch the video, notice how thick he is putting it on. Also notice how fast he's going through the soap in the bottle. This was how I applied it and was my experience as well.

Rick72
09-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Foam cannons look like a whole lot of fun. Foam guns do a whole lot more work IMO

silverfox
09-22-2013, 08:15 AM
^ perfectly said. Again, its a large volume of water and foam flowing off the paint. Not a mountain of foam sitting there doing nothing but wasting time.