PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15: First Impressions

Pages : [1] 2

swanicyouth
09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I tried my Rupes 15 for the first time today. Prior to this, I've only used a PC and Griots. I mainly bought the machine as a luxury item, as I didn't need another machine and was getting by fine with what I had. Really my goal was to get something that was less fatiguing and had less vibration.

The Rupes was all that and more. I don't have any cars with real defects at this point, so I just buffed out my hood with SF 4500 using a white Rupes pad.

Overall, I found the machine just more enjoyable and pleasant to use than a regular PC style polisher. It seems to have some type of "speed control" built in, where if you push down a bit the pad spins faster. I didn't do the washer mod, and don't plan on it. The machine seems plenty powerful the way it is for me.

The longer body style makes the polisher easier to mover around. The machine itself seemed plenty powerful for what it is, I stayed under speed 5. Since your not using much downward force, everything stays pretty cool.

The speed control knob isn't "indexed" which I thought was kind of odd. It just turns like you were changing stations on an old radio. I accidentally changed the speed once because of this.

The "slow start" is a little unique. Basically, the first time I used it I though the machine was broken, because I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. It takes a few seconds to get spinning up to speed.

The backing plate and Rupes pads works well together and the conform to different angles well. I really like the Rupes pads, and that's all I think I will use with the machine. I even ordered some Rupes Finishing polish to test that out. The Rupes pads seem a little nicer than LC pads, and the little hole in the center comes in handy when your rinsing them clean.

Overall, I was quite pleased. The machine is smooth and balanced. Much more so than a PC or Griots. The learning curve from a PC is almost zero, basically its like a PC, but smoother and easier to use. It does have a trigger lock that I missed engaging a few times, as opposed to an on/off switch.

The machine also seems quieter than a PC or Griots. For whatever reason, the plug on it just slides in and out of my extension cord too easily, I had to secure it to stay plugged in. But my Griots does the same thing, maybe its my extension cord. The plug is not grounded and the cord is more plastic like than rubber.

The machine itself seems to be built pretty well. Everything felt solid and well built together. But it's all plastic, so I don't think it would survive a drop to well. One great thing is, it perfectly (and solidly) balances itself upside down (pad facing up), unlike a lot of other machines that tend to want to tip over.

The thing is, you really can only use one size pad with this machine, so I'll still be using my Griots at least anyway for smaller pads.

I was considering this or a Flex 3401. Basically, I don't need to pull out a polisher very often, and didn't want to have to go through any learning curve with a Flex. The Rupes seems almost idiot proof, basically its super easy to use, so I know I got the right machine for me.

Kaban
09-20-2013, 05:44 PM
I want to try out this machine but I don't see any sense in buying one since I already own a pe14 and 3401. I head it's nice but for the cost, I would need to use it very often to justify getting.

KS_Detailing
09-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the review. Can someone explain the differences between a 21 and a 15? From what I researched it doesnt seem you can use smaller bp and pads with the rupes, is this true?

Success
09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
I have a 21 as a luxury item also. But I still like to use my 3401. The thing that kills me about the rupes is on curved panels--the bp stops spinning. Everywhere else is great! And I do have the washer mod installed.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
If you plan on using MF pads, you must do the washer mod, or you will get worse results. The polisher was designed to work without the washer mod with Rupes foam pads, so that's fine. I think you're really leaving a lot on the table without the washer mod, but to each their own.

I have a 21 as a luxury item also. But I still like to use my 3401. The thing that kills me about the rupes is on curved panels--the bp stops spinning. Everywhere else is great! And I do gave the washer mod installed.
With proper technique, you can manipulate the Rupes to work fairly well on curved panels. However, generally speaking, you're right about it losing momentum on curved panels.

swanicyouth
09-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the review. Can someone explain the differences between a 21 and a 15? From what I researched it doesnt seem you can use smaller bp and pads with the rupes, is this true?

The 15 has a 15mm "throw", the 21 has a 21 mm "throw" (PC has about 8mm I believe). The "throw" is the offset the pad moves from a perfect circle. The 15 comes with a 5" BP, the 21 with a 6" plate. You can put the 5" plate on the 21. You can also do vice-versa, but for some reason it's not recommended.

The "5 inch Rupes pads" actually have close to a 6" face because they taper bigger towards the face, the 6" pads for the 21 are also "an inch bigger" at the face. You can not use any smaller backing plate than the Rupes 5" plate on either machine, so you can't use any pads smaller than 5". You need to use a Rupes BP. Regular PC style BPs wont work right.

Something else odd, but good, the Rupes pads seem to dry very quick after cleaning compare to others. My pad is dry already, and its only been an hour. I did squeeze it out in a dry towel, but I always do that.

Bunky
09-20-2013, 06:03 PM

The 21 has a larger throw than the 15. I have the Flex and Rupes 15. My unit has no speed change above setting 15. It is a nice smooth machine.

Success
09-20-2013, 06:04 PM
With proper technique, you can manipulate the Rupes to work fairly well on curved panels. Generally speaking, you're right about it losing momentum on curved panels.

True. I have to really think about it but not with the flex. I can just put it to the paint and power through the panel.

swanicyouth
09-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Are you guys using:

Zero
A Little
or, PC style

downwards pressure with your Rupes

swanicyouth
09-20-2013, 06:26 PM
I was excited to show a friend my Rupes. He called and said he was coming over and he had to show me something too.

When he got here he had this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/mugu2ade.jpg

Right from the BMW Motorcycle dealer with the $800 jacket, $800 side cases x2, $700 helmet, & $100 gloves. Suddenly my Rupes was no big deal.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Are you guys using:

Zero
A Little
or, PC style

downwards pressure with your Rupes
PC style is not needed/recommended.

KS_Detailing
09-20-2013, 06:41 PM
im on the fence about the rupes just because you cant use smaller pads. Im probably going to pick up a GG 6 just for spot work cause I get tired of switching to a 4in bp on my flex. I hear the rupes is amazing with mf pads, which is why I am would consider it.

VP Mark
09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Do the washer mod asap. It will be like switching from a smooth driving grand marquis to a smooth driving Porsche.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

swanicyouth
09-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Do the washer mod asap. It will be like switching from a smooth driving grand marquis to a smooth driving Porsche.

So whats involved in the washer mod? Remove the BP, get a washer, file it down on the ends, and use it as a spacer?

Is there a specific size washer?

VP Mark
09-20-2013, 08:29 PM
So whats involved in the washer mod? Remove the BP, get a washer, file it down on the ends, and use it as a spacer?

Is there a specific size washer?

Sorry but I Dont know then specific size off the top of my head. A quick Google search would find it for you. I would find you the thread but my PC's internet is down. The rest of the process is just as you've described. I thought my rupes was just an overpriced PC until I did the mod.