PDA

View Full Version : how'd i do? and questions advice please

Pages : [1] 2

touchdowntodd
09-20-2013, 05:01 PM
so ,,.,, first time in a LONG time .. used to use a dewalt and bs pads etc.. decided ive lurked long enough and bought some stuff. thanks to autogeek for the great prices! not shown is the nanoskin and pad cleaner brush (on backstock)

so ... wifes car paint was tore up.. no clue why but hood etc VERY scratched up (not deep but covered in swirls that were semi deep almost like 2000-2500 grit sand paper?_)

so anyways.. method i used: sorry for crappy weather pics and cell phone pics its the best i could .. hood 1/2 n 1/2 pic is after 105 only

bug n tar
2 bucket wash
meguiars clay bar (she was FILTHY!)
wipe down
105 with orange pad 5000-5500 (anyone ever seen a pad tear like this? ###? ) .. clean pad with compressed air & towel between sections
wipe down
205 on white pad 4000-4500 (same cleaning pad deal)
wipe down
21 on black pad 2000-2500 (possibly went too thin? was covered but SUPER thin)
black pad at 1500ish to remove

so.. questions..

1) i noticed the liquids chalked up SUPER quick... as in chalked up before my 2nd pass on the section? i was using 3-4 drops of liquid and working 2x2 sections ... am i screwing up here somehow? more liquid?

2) i need to figure out pads better as far as cut on em.. i think i could have used a more gritty pad on the hood some small scratches still exist

3) need to figure out speed/pressure ... this still makes no sense to me .. so im going by feel? perhaps this has something to do with teh scratches staying behind (not all) ... and also maybe somethin to do with not noticing much difference before/after 205 ..

anyways.. any help is appreciated.. im sure im forgetting something.. 5+ hours on a small car smh.. LOL :buffing::nomore:

feel free to call me an idiot .. im sure i did something wrong and im sure the pad coming apart was somehow my fault i just have no clue why? how?

touchdowntodd
09-20-2013, 05:02 PM
ps - whats the best way to clean these pads now? i dont have a pad cleaner bucket deal ... THANKS!

touchdowntodd
09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
ps plan calls for pb blue tmrw m9rning before she goes to work then ill show her the car :0 2nd layer of 21 applied

CarolinaShine
09-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Did the pad just come apart like that wile you were using it? Or did it happen when you were cleaning it with the towel? I just received some of these pads with my GG polisher and I hope they don't do that!

You can throw the pads in the washer with any towels you are washing, or pressure wash them/rinse them thoroughly with the hose to get them clean. I usually just throw them in the washer.

touchdowntodd
09-20-2013, 06:02 PM
just threw em in the washer with the microfiber cleaner.. hope that is ok ..

and it happened while using it! just ripped right in half .. pretty pissed about it ...

touchdowntodd
09-21-2013, 07:30 AM
bump ... can anyone help on questions etc?

up to put this coat of nattys blue on before the wife leaves for work

Jpatchley
09-21-2013, 08:12 AM
I had a pad rip like that the first time I used m105. I believe it got too hot, overuse. Be sure you have at a minimum 3-4 pads to switch between and make sure you clean them.

parttimer
09-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Ive never had a pad fail like that! I would clean my pads on the fly, ive notheard of using air to clean pads but i could be wrong. Also 105 does dust, there are a few topics out there on how to keep it down. One is using spray detailer. If theorange didint do it, try a microfiber cutting pad.

swanicyouth
09-21-2013, 08:26 AM
That pad likely failed from heat, but its a LC pad, so who knows. Basically, if your pad is getting super hot, it's usually from too much downward pressure. Try slowing your arm speed or doing more passes to keep things cooler.

Also, keep in mind your polishing paint, not sanding steel. Use a little finesse when working. I'm not saying this applies here, but usually if a pad fails its due to abuse.

205 is a finishing polish. You won't notice a lot of difference close up unless the 105 left haze. You have to try and remove the defects with 105, only then move on to 205.

Pads chalking up? Did you prime your pad? Where you working outside? What temps? Was the pad getting super hot?

If your doing everything correctly and the polish doesn't have enough work time, you can extend it with a spritz of pad conditioner, detail spray, or DI water. That's just one spritz.

That's if everything is being done correctly. 105 is a professional polish designed for experienced professionals in the refinishing industry. It has a fast cut, but not the longest work time. I've read this, I've never used 105 due to the "learning curve" some say it may have.

You may want to try some polishes that may be more user friendly from Optimum or Wolfgang. That's pretty much all I use.

touchdowntodd
09-21-2013, 09:09 AM
couple pics after the nattys

touchdowntodd
09-21-2013, 09:13 AM
That pad likely failed from heat, but its a LC pad, so who knows. Basically, if your pad is getting super hot, it's usually from too much downward pressure. Try slowing your arm speed or doing more passes to keep things cooler.

Also, keep in mind your polishing paint, not sanding steel. Use a little finesse when working. I'm not saying this applies here, but usually if a pad fails its due to abuse.

205 is a finishing polish. You won't notice a lot of difference close up unless the 105 left haze. You have to try and remove the defects with 105, only then move on to 205.

Pads chalking up? Did you prime your pad? Where you working outside? What temps? Was the pad getting super hot?

If your doing everything correctly and the polish doesn't have enough work time, you can extend it with a spritz of pad conditioner, detail spray, or DI water. That's just one spritz.

That's if everything is being done correctly. 105 is a professional polish designed for experienced professionals in the refinishing industry. It has a fast cut, but not the longest work time. I've read this, I've never used 105 due to the "learning curve" some say it may have.

You may want to try some polishes that may be more user friendly from Optimum or Wolfgang. That's pretty much all I use.

pad was primed it was about 65 out .. and i was in a garage so only shade... 105 doesnt seem to have as much cut as some other things i used years ago, so it seemed easy to handle

this griots however is a beast LOL .. Im the MAN

swanicyouth
09-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Every so often dip your pinky down on the collar of Griots to see how hot things are running. A spritz of water would keep things more "fluid".

The Griots is a beast.

touchdowntodd
09-21-2013, 11:30 AM
thanks!

i have the pad prep spray comin with a brush it was just on back order.. ill watch the heat no doubt.. i know i could probably turn it down to 4500 on the compound stage.. its runs hard!

touchdowntodd
09-22-2013, 04:27 PM
bump for opinions/tips

EddieF
09-22-2013, 05:33 PM
It kinda looks like you you may have ran the pad on a sharp piece of trim.