PDA

View Full Version : streaky windows, please help

Pages : [1] 2

scottman25
09-18-2013, 09:30 PM
hello:

i must either have something on my windows on my cars or something im doing is wrong.

its almost as if there is a film on my windows. i use stoner invisible glass and i love it. i washed and waxed my truck today and when trying to clean the windows the outside and inside just streaks, you cant see it until the light hits it a certain way. its almost as if someone put an extremely thin coat of an oily substance on my windows. and whats weird is if i take my finger nail and scratch at it, it feels rough. i tried a brillo sponge and even steel wool(not coarse) and its like it does nothing. . oh and i use clean microfiber towels.

if i do my prius windows, the windows come out great. no problems, so im thinking somethings on my truck windows.

is there anything out there that i can use to try and cut this glass to remove whatever the problem is.

thank you,
Scott

cleanmycorolla
09-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Try DP glass restorer to clean it up.

I use KD Cloth to clean, work great.

Pureshine
09-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I use Stoners everyday you need to use 2 towels one for cleaning and one for wiping.

scottman25
09-18-2013, 10:27 PM
thats exactly what i do, 2 microfiber towels. and these windows on my truck just streak like theres a film on them. and my towels are clean. i even tried a new towel, same result. im wondering if there is something on them. is there anything household or at a home depot i could use to really per se strip the windows. im ready to try goof off on them but am afraid to do so because its harsh.

ClayR
09-18-2013, 11:20 PM
IPA wipe down and then re-try stoners.

ExoticAutoDetai
09-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Is "the film" noticeable on the inside? If it is, it could be a clear security film, is basically thicker film that makes the glass alot harder that it could withstand hits from a baseball bat.

Sent with my Note 2, from Planet Namek.

AutowerxDetailing
09-19-2013, 12:25 AM
There has to be something on the towels you are using. If they were all washed in the same load of laundry maybe something weird got on them. That's my guess anyway... :dunno:

BulldogAuto
09-19-2013, 02:12 AM
I have good luck with. Are you using a MF intended for windows? Have you tried newspaper? If it is good enough for the bumbs on the corner it's good enough for me.

scottman25
09-19-2013, 08:32 AM
i try to keep my towels separate from other wash. and i use ECOS, its an all natural laundry cleaner with no detergents like normal laundry soap.

i hardly if at all notice a film on the inside and it doesnt feel like there is film on the windows. it acts tho as if there is a thin film of oil or something. its the outside thats terrible.

my towels are ones i get at costco or what not that come in a pack of about 36. i never had a problem with these towels and have been using them for a couple years, not the same towel over and over but this brand (detailers touch i think its called). as for being specially designed for windows, that im not sure about.
i havent tried newspaper. ill give that a shot

ill try the ipa wipedown also.

FASTFRED
09-19-2013, 09:50 AM
I would also try claying the windows too.

flhden
09-19-2013, 11:19 AM
I have the same problem on my Corvette, they look perfect until you drive in the sun and then it's streaks galore. I use Invisible glass with 2 clean microfibers and a 3rd for a final polish-wipedown. Do not have the problem on the outside just inside. Car has never been smoked in. I give up... :bash:

07gtcs
09-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Try using warm water with a bit of white vinegar to see if that clears up the streaks. If not, I've used chrome polish on to take the film or remaining window treatment (rain-x or the like) off the windshield. The tip was given to me from a detail shop.

flhden
09-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Try using warm water with a bit of white vinegar to see if that clears up the streaks. If not, I've used chrome polish on to take the film or remaining window treatment (rain-x or the like) off the windshield. The tip was given to me from a detail shop.

There was a chrome and glass cleaner that I used to buy at the Harley shop with a checkerboard logo on it and damn if I can remember the name, but they do not sell it anymore. That stuff was amazing on glass. I tried it on my wife's water stained windshield and it took the stains out that I could never remove before. Sure wish I could find that stuff again. I wonder if any chrome polish would work like that.

scottman25
09-20-2013, 12:06 AM
i was just thinking about claying the windows. i used my walmart gift card and bought the mothers clay and clayed the windows on my prius today, wow what a difference i cant wait to apply rain-x and watch the rain just bead and flow away. now to see how it works on my truck windows.

should use the vinegar on the inside windows too or could i clay the inside windows or would that just make a nasty mess.

JTS
09-20-2013, 04:34 AM
You may want to consider Diamondite Spray Clay