PDA

View Full Version : Bottled water spots on EXOv2??

kevincwelch
09-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I applied C1/EXOv2 this past weekend.

After EXO was allowed to cure for about 24 hours, i had to drive the car in the rain. Had no problems with the EXO. It worked so nicely to bead and sheet the water. After the rain dried, the car still looked beautiful.

I was showing a friend the sheeting by pouring some bottled water on the car a day ago. There was some beading that eventually dried, but it left water spots on the hood.

Poorboy's QD didn't get rid of them and neither did DP waterless wash. It wasn't until I applied some pressure with a short nap microfiber and buffed the area that they disappeared.

I don't see water spots anywhere else (even after the rain) -- just where I poured the bottled water. It wasn't mineral water and not distilled water...just your average bottled water.

Has anyone seen this before? Or is water just that evil?

I'm going to try Optimum Opti Clean and a few other QD/WW combos to see if they work better. Any other suggestions?

BlackHawk
09-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Water bottle = evil LoL

Setec Astronomy
09-18-2013, 10:43 AM
So it was just average bottled water. Most of that is just filtered tap water, so it has minerals in it...just like tap water. Even if it was well water or spring water, it's still going to have plenty of minerals in it. The only kinds of water that don't are distilled, DI, RO, soft...none of which come out of your tap (unless you live in one of the few places in the country with naturally soft water).

Rain water theoretically doesn't have any minerals in it because it is "naturally distilled" by evaporation. That doesn't mean it doesn't have other airborne contaminants in it (as a member of another forum used to say, from Texas, that it would "rain mud" because of dust that would get kicked up in the air and come down with the rain).

kevincwelch
09-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Man, didn't even think about that difference.

Hopefully I can get them all leveled with just some cleaners and a little buffing.

swanicyouth
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Especially if it was mineral water. Always use DI water for stuff like that. You can let that dry on your paint with no issue or spots.