PDA

View Full Version : Does every car need paint correction once in awhile?

Pages : [1] 2

BrianDavis
09-18-2013, 09:47 AM
This might be a dumb question, but does every car need paint correction occasionally? i.e. for all you guys who keep your cars in great shape, wash with two bucket method, etc, does the car still gradually build up some scratches and need correction every once in awhile?

hernandez.art13
09-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I think it all depends, especially when you throw all possible variables in the mix. Technique, maintenance, where you live random events, list can go on and on....

If the car needs paint correction. Then the car for the most part will tell you. With proper inspection.

Idk I could be wrong :)

dorkiedoode
09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Only light polishing. I use Menz 4500

Setec Astronomy
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
The answer is yes. Unless the car never gets washed, never gets wiped, never leaves the garage, it's going to get some swirls no matter how careful you are.

Mike Phillips
09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
does the car still gradually build up some scratches and need correction every once in awhile?

Yes, even if you're uber careful, it's easy to get light scratches and swirls in the paint because modern clear coat paints are scratch-sensitive. Simply put, paint scratches easily and because most people have a clear coat, the basecoat or color coat makes it easy for your eyes to see the scratches on the top layer over it.

Also read this...

Here's why you need to polish paint... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/68100-here-s-why-you-need-polish-paint.html)

:)

hernandez.art13
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I'd like to change my answer :D

^ what they said :laughing:

BrianDavis
09-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, and that's a good read Mike. I appreciate it! I currently have the Meguiars DA Power System, and like it, but looks like I need something larger that can more easily do the whole car.

Ultimately I was curious as to how much a hobbyist really needs a polisher, but looks like I'll now try to convince my wife to let me invest in a 7424 xp :)

zmcgovern45
09-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Ultimately I was curious as to how much a hobbyist really needs a polisher, but looks like I'll now try to convince my wife to let me invest in a 7424 xp :)

IMO, every car owner should own a basic polisher like the PC7424XP... it will pay for itself on your first use (compared to paying a professional), and it will last for a very long time. Not only is it great for routine light polishing, but it makes applying sealant and wax much quicker and easier. You'll use it more than you think (especially if you have more than one car to maintain).

Mike Phillips
09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
IMO, every car owner should own a basic polisher like the PC7424XP... it will pay for itself on your first use (compared to paying a professional), and it will last for a very long time.

Not only is it great for routine light polishing, but it makes applying sealant and wax much quicker and easier. You'll use it more than you think (especially if you have more than one car to maintain).

I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it any better. The Porter Cable dual action polisher is probably responsible for more cars looking great than any other tool mostly because it was introduced to the paint polishing world since the early 1990's and since then millions of cars have been de-swirled. I know I de-swirled one or two of them.

Check this out...

It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

BrianDavis
09-18-2013, 11:15 AM
I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it any better. The Porter Cable dual action polisher is probably responsible for more cars looking great than any other tool mostly because it was introduced to the paint polishing world since the early 1990's and since then millions of cars have been de-swirled. I know I de-swirled one or two of them.

Check this out...

It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

And that led me to this:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html

I could sit and read forever, loving this place!

zmcgovern45
09-18-2013, 11:25 AM
And that led me to this:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html

I could sit and read forever, loving this place!

Oh no!! He's hooked... we've got another addict!

Here is what you need to do. Login to your online banking and take a good long look at your current balance... say your goodbyes and start shopping!

But in all seriousness... Welcome to AGO! Glad you're here... you will learn a TON and you'll have the best looking vehicle on your block in no time!

Klasse Act
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Well Brian I bought my Honda CR-Z Sept 10th of 2011 and have not had to do any paint correction at all, I've stayed ontop of it since day #1! I have used DG #501 which as some cleaning ability but that's been used coming out of winter when doing a spring clean up and a little while ago after doing a quick claying. For me once in a while I feel a good clay barring followed up with a cleaning type product is a good thing. Now, do I call this "paint correction", no, I call it maintaining and IMO paint correction takes place when you use a compound and/or polish that actually corrects decects such as swirls and marks, this I have not had to do to my own car. I've made a commitment to never needing to machine polish my car and so far so good.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

WRX02227
09-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I've seen 40k cars sitting in a showroom with swirled paint so I'm going with a "yes"...hahaha

c8n
09-18-2013, 01:18 PM
I have compounded my car fully once and I have polished my car about 3 times this year. Have done spot corrections here and there.

zmcgovern45
09-18-2013, 01:23 PM
I've seen 40k cars sitting in a showroom with swirled paint so I'm going with a "yes"...hahaha

I've seen $100,000+ cars that need a full 2+ step correction sitting on show room floors... dealerships will do awful things to vehicles.