PDA

View Full Version : Should a stronger polisher always be followed by a lighter one?

EugeneGoldberg
09-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Greetings!
If I'm using a medium strength polisher to remove medium swirls, should I always chase it with the finer one to improve the paint leveling?

-Eugene

Setec Astronomy
09-17-2013, 09:40 PM
A fine polish (or finishing polish) isn't going to improve "leveling", which would typically be a term associated with compounding and coarse pads, but it may improve the gloss, depending on your eye and desires, and the color of the paint. On lighter colors you may decide that a medium polish finishes fine, on darker colors or if you are more picky, you may feel you need a finishing polish.

wdmaccord
09-17-2013, 11:00 PM
A lot of that depends on you. Me personally, I have a black car so I always polish after any compounding...even M205. Now, if I was doing a detail for someone else and they just wanted a one step, then I wouldn't, but I would use something like Megs UC that finishes pretty clean. And I would just tell them that the gloss won't be perfect but if they want that extra bit of gloss, they have to pay for a 2-step.

EugeneGoldberg
09-18-2013, 08:14 AM
My C300 is black.
I currently have 2 Meguiars Mirror Glaze polishers: one is graded from 0 to 3 and another is from 0 to 5.
So, my thinking was (at this point I have no experience) to start with 0-5 and then chase it with 0-3.
Does this make any sense?

-Eugene

Setec Astronomy
09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Yes, that makes sense, but we have to clear up a few things. First one you say polishERS, to us here that means a polishing machine, while when we say polishES, we're referring to the chemical/liquid we use to polish.

You say you have two Mirror Glaze polishes...0-3 and 0-5...I'm guessing you have #82 (rated 3 on the abrasive scale) and #83 (actually rated 6 on the abrasive scale). So yes, you would use the 83 and then the 82.

Mike Phillips
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
My C300 is black.
I currently have 2 Meguiars Mirror Glaze polishers: one is graded from 0 to 3 and another is from 0 to 5.
So, my thinking was (at this point I have no experience) to start with 0-5 and then chase it with 0-3.
Does this make any sense?

-Eugene

Makes sense.

Most important thing you can do though is a Test Spot. Do this and inspect the results before buffing out the entire car, especially a black car.

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)

:)

Inzane
09-18-2013, 10:38 AM

I'm trying to guess which ones you have.
The '3' is probably M82 "Swirl Free polish", or M9 "Swirl Remover 2.0".
Not sure about the '5'.... its not M83 DACP, which is rated a '6', and I don't think it's M80 Speed Glaze which is rated a '4'.
Hmmm.... which one am I forgetting?

Setec Astronomy
09-18-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm trying to guess which ones you have.
The '3' is probably M82 "Swirl Free polish"?
Not sure about the '5'.... its not M83 DACP, which is rated a '6', and I don't think it's M80 Speed Glaze which is rated a '4'.
Hmmm.... which one am I forgetting?

There is no 5 AFAIK, he either has 80 or 83.

EugeneGoldberg
09-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks!
I will post after having done a test spot.

-Eugene