PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding and other questions about fixing my paint

ntwillie1
09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Hello all. Long story short - I took my car to a body shop to have an aftermarket body kit painted and installed. They did the worst job imaginable. I would rather not get into the details of my whole ordeal. I wills age that for another thread. For now, here is what I need help with:

1. What can wet sanding repair? My car has dimples on it now, as well as small pimples on it. Would wet sanding be able to level something like that out?
2. Using my porter cable, would I be able to level out my paint if I used something aggressive? Or is wet sanding pimples/dimples on my paint be a better route?
3. Anyone have any good links to wet sanding?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks.

RedXray
09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
It's hard to say without seeing some pics.

If the body kit is urethane it could be they didn't remove the release agent properly and the paint fish eyed. Urethane parts are coated with a release agent so they can pop out of the molds. If it's not removed completely it will bite you on the backside. If the body kit is fiberglass you have a different issue(s).

SonOfOC
09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
As RedXray posted, pics will really help.

I can tell that dimples and pimples are 99% related to improper cleaning, contaminants, and curing.

ntwillie1
09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys. Some info.

The body kit is fiber glass. However, the issue is not on the bumpers themselves (as those are a lost cause and I will actually be removing them and going back to factory) but on the factory quarter panels. The bodyshop sanded a part of my original paint off so they could blend into the bumpers, but it turned out to be a disaster. I gave them an opporutnity to redo the work and they only made it worse. Today I picked up the car and took out of their shop because I have no confidence left in them. I will try to take some pics tomorrow and post. Thanks again.

HateSwirls
09-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Wet sanding can fix many defects but be warned there are risk.
I'd love to also see pics.
I've wet sanded many times and always go into it like its my first time.

erichaley
09-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Improper surface prep / paint application issues cannot typically be resolved without repainting the area, nor should they be something the customer should have to deal with themselves. My advice would be to make the body shop pay whatever it costs to have another shop fix what they couldn't. It's probably in your best interests to speak to a lawyer or research the small claims court process where you live. In the mean time, leave your paint alone.

ntwillie1
09-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Well, just wanted to provide you guys with an update. Wet Sanding did not work. The bodyshop I went to, amazing by the way, attempted it and it burned through. The imperfections were too darn obvious. I ended up getting most of my car repainted. She's beautiful again. Now I just need to decide if I want to put GTechniq back on or go with Opticoat :) Sorry I never posted pics, the ones I had were taken with my iphone and didn't really show the imperfections too well.