PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is this?

t5620
09-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Hello everyone

(I'm one of those long-time viewers, first time posters, but I'm glad to finally have created an account and be a little more involved as a result.
I always look to past posts through this site through my searches for whatever help I may need, and now I guess I am one of those posters seeking help!) :xyxthumbs:

I have this....stain/spot/something on the top of my door where it meets the roof. At first I thought it was old sap, then I looked closer and didn't know what to think. It almost looks like maybe there was a ding there that someone tried to fill up with something but I have no clue what it could be:

http://i40.tinypic.com/mvq7lv.jpg
It's about the size of a nickel

I guess what I'm really asking is if there is anyway to remove it..

Thanks
Tim

mswerb
09-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Kinda looks like touch up paint.

1fastTbird
09-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Did you buy the car used? I agree that it looks like touch-up paint.

ClayR
09-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Looks like a bad touch up paint job to fix a big ding. Can not suggest a solution until you figure out what it is. Is it clear or is it the same color as the car?

Evan.J
09-17-2013, 08:00 PM
A horrible touch up job as already stated.

t5620
09-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes it was bought used.
That was sorta where I was going with the filled-in ding idea but wasn't sure if that's what the previous owner used.
Now that you mention it, that's more than likely what it is.

edit: From looking at it up close in person, it looks to be the same color as the car but I don't know how long it has been there and been exposed.

MrOneEyedBoh
09-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Id say as the others. You might be able to use that Langka system to try and level it?

hernandez.art13
09-17-2013, 08:12 PM
It looks like others said and it might be able to leveled/blended. Contact a local reputable detailer he might be able to assist you.

ClayR
09-17-2013, 08:12 PM
You can try wet sanding it down with fine grit sandpaper wraped over a flat wood block. Then compound and then polish the area. The goal is to flatten the surface to make it blend in. Work slowly and don't try to offer do it, you will not get it looking perfect the goal is to make it less obvious.

wdmaccord
09-17-2013, 08:16 PM
You can try wet sanding it down with fine grit sandpaper wraped over a flat wood block. Then compound and then polish the area. The goal is to flatten the surface to make it blend in. Work slowly and don't try to offer do it, you will not get it looking perfect the goal is to make it less obvious.

Definitely looks like a mongo paint chip with a sloppy touch up attempt. Careful if you attempt to wet sand on your own. Clear is really thin around the the blob of touch up paint and you don't want to go through that.

mwoolfso
09-18-2013, 06:30 AM
I would level that down by wetstanding the high spots and acquire some touch-up paint. Basically, eliminate the previous owner's blob so you can do it right. Don't worry too much about removing clear on the periphery. As long as you are sanding that mountain and are careful/patient you can recover from any nickel-sized mistake.

You can order touch-up paint (and even clear) online. I tend to use automotivetouchup.com when my local auto store doesn't have what I need.

Once you sand down the mountain, the spot will be more noticeable. That's OK. Shake the paint well and often!!!! This will save you some heartache.

Start applying thin layers of paint on the low spot; wait at least 45 min. before you add a subsequent layer. After 2-3 layers, wait a day or so before you repeat the process. Once you have the spot higher than the OEM paint, wait a couple of weeks for the paint to fully cure. At that point, you are ready to wet sand again. Don't be surprised if you spend quite a few days repeating this process.

The wetsanding process at this point is to level the mountain with the OEM paint. As far as blending is concerned, for a nickel-sized amount there isn't a lot of magic you need. Again, be patient. Once you have it sufficiently level then compound and polish the area to a gloss, then seal/wax to your liking. With so many layers of paint you will be well protected and for most people they will not even notice what you have done.