PDA

View Full Version : Question About Rupes BF & Rupes Pads

swanicyouth
09-17-2013, 05:41 PM
It seems for some reason, whenever I see demo videos of people using the Rupes Big Foot polisher with Rupes foam pads, the operator doesn't prime the pad.

They always put four or so dots of polish, spread it out, and start buffing. Now, I know the benefits of priming a pad and how to do it, but I'm wondering if there is a reason for this or if its not required for some reason with the Rupes machine.

Does anyone do anything differently with their pad with this machine? Usually, with the Griots or PC, I coat the whole face of the pad lightly with polish, just enough to change the color of the pad, then I add a few dots. Is this the same with the Rupes?

ski2
09-17-2013, 05:51 PM
This is also the prefered method of using HD Cut, UNO and Polish. Just a few pea sized drops on the outer edge of the pad for the first section and then 2-3 drops for each additional section when using andy DA so maybe it has to do with the Rupes Polishes.

Evan.J
09-17-2013, 05:56 PM
I still prime my pads first then I use pea size dots the rest if the way. I have not used the Rupes polishes but I still think you will be better off priming your pads.

hernandez.art13
09-17-2013, 06:52 PM
At Meguiar's they Primed the MF pad entirely and worked in the product into the pad by hand. They then blew the excess with compressed air.(I believe to fluff up the microfibers, they said you could do it with their brush also if you don't have compressed air) They then proceeded to apply 3 dots of product. (It was Meguiars DA Correction compound They then followed it by working the paint in that manner. They did this with with the DA finishing wax as well.

http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-6in.html

^ these I believe

Not sure if it varies from product to product.

Hope that helps some.

Detailing by M
09-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Always prime your pad or it's just like putting a "naked" pad on the paint.

Art:
The Micro Fibers need product in them to work, all of them.
The way Stoops does this is fine but not exactly necessary.
Yes you have to prime, Mike does it his way just find a way to completely
get product into each fiber that you like.
Personally I push the pad on the paint a little, wetting all fibers, then use a brush to remove excess product. Just the brush, NO motor running.
Then add my "Working Product" to the primed pad. Hope that clears it up.

hernandez.art13
09-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Always prime your pad or it's just like putting a "naked" pad on the paint.

Art:
The Micro Fibers need product in them to work, all of them.
The way Stoops does this is fine but not exactly necessary.
Yes you have to prime, Mike does it his way just find a way to completely
get product into each fiber that you like.
Personally I push the pad on the paint a little, wetting all fibers, then use a brush to remove excess product. Just the brush, NO motor running.
Then add my "Working Product" to the primed pad. Hope that clears it up.

Yes it does. I was wondering how to do it without compressed air.

Thanks

TundraPower
09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
With Rupes pads and polishes all you do is mist the pad and put on two or three pea size drops. This is especially true if you're using Sonax Perfect Finish on Rupes pads.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Depends on the polish.

Meg's SMAT = prime
HD Polishes = no prime