PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove little yellow bird droppings while washing your vehicle?

Pages : [1] 2

leahcimp
09-16-2013, 06:13 PM
How do you guys remove the little yellow bird droppings while washing your vehicle via 2BM, rinseless, or waterless wash methods?

Usually, agitation with your chosen wash media during any of the above wash methods will not remove the little droppings so I scrape them off with my fingernails. If I agitate with my wash mitt, I fear I may induce marring.

Sounds kinda gross using my fingernails, so I thought maybe using a plastic razor blade is a bit smarter?

How do you guys go about it?

Wheelzntoys
09-16-2013, 06:50 PM
I use a plastic razor blade, let it soak for a bit and most comes off with the washmitt.

I think it is bee poop or something like that.

sketcheroo
09-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I think it's mostly bug poop. Often times after washing my car I see these little winged creatures starting to sit on my car, probably because it smells so good!

Dogfather
09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
What's yellow, the bird or the droppings?

jlabs12
09-16-2013, 08:13 PM
I have been using DP Road Kill Bug Remover and it works great on those little things.

leahcimp
09-16-2013, 08:56 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/AGO_Bird.jpg

The dime is used for scale.

I think it's bird poo, not insect/bug droppings. Seems too large to be from a bug.

I don't pre-treat these since there are usually dozens of them, but I do foam my car with a foam gun prior to 2BM. I just scrape them off with my fingernails while mitting each panel since they don't fall off with just gentle mitting. Do others do the same?

conthedon
09-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I have onr in spray bottle in my trunk, I spray the bird bomb and just pick it off with a towel and it comes off, I dont need to do any wiping, blot it if anything. Most of the times as soon as its sprayed it breaks up (makes it easier if your car has protection on it like a sealant or wax), the more rare times just let it sit for say 20-30 seconds or more then pick off /blot. Personally I wouldnt use fingernails since that is kinda gross since itll lodge under your nails lol and since you can easily scratch your paint with your nails..if anything a plastic razor would be a better option...also you sure its not tree sap? Since ive never had an issue where bird bombs are all over the car. If the foam doesnt remove them then maybe you should pre treat with a spray of rinseless or whatever similar product you have then hit with foam.

FUNX650
09-16-2013, 09:35 PM
How do you guys remove the little yellow bird droppings while washing your vehicle via 2BM, rinseless, or waterless wash methods?

Usually, agitation with your chosen wash media during any of the above wash methods will not remove the little droppings so I scrape them off with my fingernails. If I agitate with my wash mitt, I fear I may induce marring.

Sounds kinda gross using my fingernails, so I thought maybe using a plastic razor blade is a bit smarter?

How do you guys go about it?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/AGO_Bird.jpg

The dime is used for scale.

I think it's bird poo, not insect/bug droppings. Seems too large to be from a bug.

I don't pre-treat these since there are usually dozens of them, but I do foam my car with a foam gun prior to 2BM. I just scrape them off with my fingernails while mitting each panel since they don't fall off with just gentle mitting. Do others do the same?
-Sorry but the crap in the above picture doesn't appear to be all that yellow. :dunno:

-If you think that "fingernailing" won't cause marring... you need to think again!

Zang!!
Just think of all the different kinds of fungi and bacteria that this crap is laden with...
And Now: You've now gotten it underneath your fingernails!! Unholy Crap Batman!!

-Keep in mind: Crap like this needs to be attended to ASAP.
Spraying them down with surfactant-containing-products (as in a pre-soak/pre-treat solution) is quite helpful in their removal,
and reduces the chances of marring, as well.

-Some ONR, a long-napped MF-towel (shaken occasionally to remove larger pieces of the crap), and a plastic razor blade (if need be),
will more than likely do the trick...if it's bird/bee crap.
However/Too bad: This doesn't always equate to the crap never etching the paint, though.

NOTE:
Road tars; Tree saps/resins; and: "Fun Facts About Fungi & Their Spores'-dispersal Systems"...
are whole other chapters in the: Identifying and Removal of Vehicle-paint-contaminates' Story Book.

:)

Bob

leahcimp
09-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Well, the one closer to the dime above is in fact a yellow, mustard-like color; sorry for the poor picture quality/lighting, and the longer one is darker.

Anyhow, my question relates to tackling these droppings while doing a wash with a mitt/sponge/mf towel, not isolated treatments in between washings.

Thanks for all the replies.

af90
09-16-2013, 10:28 PM
While washing just a simple detail spray and towel then resume washing or just grab it with the mitt, does it not remove it for you.

SYMAWD
09-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Usually my wash mitt just washes those right away. If not, I would soak the hell out of it with Ultima WW+ or ONR or similar, then go over it with a waffle weave micro fiber as gently as I could.

conthedon
09-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Well, the one closer to the dime above is in fact a yellow, mustard-like color; sorry for the poor picture quality/lighting, and the longer one is darker.

Anyhow, my question relates to tackling these droppings while doing a wash with a mitt/sponge/mf towel, not isolated treatments in between washings.

Thanks for all the replies.

My isolated method is the same thing I do before washing..so still would suggest to pre treat to break it up (something like ONR) before washing. Very fast to do (even if you have a dozen small ones) just spray them and let it sit while you set up your foam gun and then foam and if it's still there hit it with a detail spray (like optimum instant detailer) and wipe with your mf towel when youre drying.

Detailing by M
09-16-2013, 11:24 PM
It's Been "drops" it has bees wax in it.
"Push" it off with the "top"of your nail.
Always wash your hands after washing/detailing your car.

Sent while I was Detailing or something related to detailing ;)

Wheelzntoys
09-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Wash mitt alone does not work, they have like a top baked layer.

Soak them and then I go over them with a plastic razor, try to get out of the habit using your nails.

DazzleFX
09-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Today I used Mothers Showtime to soften up some tree sap, bugs and bird poop. It worked ok by soaking then waiting a couple minutes. I only had a little remaining in the bottle so when I ran out I had some Invincible Glass with me in the car. Worked great! Seemed to soften and loosen them much faster and better. I will experiment with this further.