PDA

View Full Version : BMW 745Li Black with Menzerna and a Story

Pages : [1] 2

Totoland Mach
06-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, the best laid plans went south: I was going to carefully document the use of Menzerna compound and glaze on this 745. The dealer received a call from a prospective buyer some 200 miles away that was looking for a replacement 745 that he had wrecked. The dealer explained that the one we had was still at the BMW dealership for warranty work and we wouldn't get it until 6:30 last night.

Well, after the customer explained that he only had today to "do the deal", we decided to "start" on the car at 6:30 last night. BUT, I did use Menzerna compound (with a wool pad), Menzerna glaze (with a finish pad) and Meguiar's #26 with a finish pad. We started on the interior first for 2 reasons: we had natural light outside (best for cleaning black interiors) and the carpeting and mats would dry overnight. Finished the interior at 9:30pm (the dealer doing one side of the car and I did the other).

Started compounding at 9:30pm and there were numerous scratches, but none that required wet sanding...

Finished up at 5:00am this morning and I went home at daylight. The new owner was at the shop at 9:00am this morning, cashier's check in hand, so I snapped a couple of finished pics.

I am tired!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/June07_BMWs/745Li_OvernightFinish.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/June07_BMWs/745Li_OvernightFinish2.jpg

I'll start on the X5 tomorrow...sleep tonight!

Sometimes in the detail business...you gotta do what you gotta do! The new owner was super happy with the appearance and the dealer was grateful for the extra effort by working all night.

Toto

Gary Sword
06-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I know cars don't stay at the dealership for long after you detail them Toto but this may be a new record. It sounds like a long night.

Truls
06-15-2007, 05:55 PM
The customer had to be happy as you said, car looks great toto.

Did you like the Menzerna?

Have a good sleep, and enjoy the X5

Dust2Glory
06-15-2007, 06:25 PM
bro. i would of charged a night differential... like double. did it really take that long to do the outside?? that's insane!!

Totoland Mach
06-15-2007, 09:04 PM
bro. i would of charged a night differential... like double. did it really take that long to do the outside?? that's insane!!

You know, sometimes just going "above and beyond" will have rewards down the road. I sensed by the dealer's phone call late yesterday afternoon that he was in a panic mode. I mean, he knew this was going to be a quick sale, was going to involve most of the night in prep, and didn't know if I was going to meet the challenge.

It really did take that long with both of us working. We put the car on the lift to start at the rocker panel level and wool/compound our way to the roof. Then, pressure wash the compound dust off the car and start the process again with glaze and finish pads.

Actually, the easiest part is applying #26 with a random orbital (Festool). That takes about 20 minutes because all the correction work is in the compounding and glazing.

Again, we recondition these cars because they are for sale and don't know how picky a prospective owner is going to be. I've had doctors inspect a car with a gosh darn (edited by me) magnifying glass!....and couldn't find a scratch.

On black cars, I am extra careful (and slower) because the finish is critical. Typically I would take 1.5 to 2.0 days to bring a black finish to flawless. Silver is much more forgiving and can "hide" minimal scratches. Not so with black.

Toto

67Customs
06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Those cars are SO nice. I did a black 750Li once. The paint was pretty friendly to work with in my experience. Those cars have an aweful amount of orange peel on them. They look dang good when perfecly finished though.

Really nice work on the 745.:applause:

supercharged
06-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Look awesome! Love that black 7-series.

richy
06-15-2007, 11:42 PM
I just did a 7 year old 7 series last weekend that was pretty rough and it turned out pretty good for me. I love working on black bimmers..they really seem to respond.

Jimmie
06-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Holy cow Toto. My hat's off to you. All night until 5:00am. The car looks great and I hope the dealer realizes that you met the challenge.

Nica
06-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Well done Toto that is one detail to remember...that Bimmer has got to be the faster Bimmer detaied/sold...I've done all nighters too...I just crank the toons and work away...it's not so bad wile you work it's when you stop and maybe take a drink of whater and rest a little that's when you feel it hehehehe I some times wish the body didn't require so much sleep oh well make due with what you have.

A few questions Toto:
1.What wool pad did you use? I'm assuming Meg's
2.After Menzerna Compound you went to the Glaze? Wow you totally live up to your name Master Toto. I'm still working on the wool pad...it's coming nicely though...you'll see soon.

I really enjoy reading and seing your posts Toto, I always learn something new from you.

Job well done Toto, thanks for sharing.

SiliconX
06-16-2007, 02:41 AM
I always love your black BMW detail threads. Interesting stories paired with finishes that look like you can reach through them.

Great stuff.

tod071
06-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Always a pleasure seeing your work. Too bad no before pics. Do you use the Festool for ANY correction? A PC replacement? or in between rotary and pc?

Totoland Mach
06-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Always a pleasure seeing your work. Too bad no before pics. Do you use the Festool for ANY correction? A PC replacement? or in between rotary and pc?

I usually use the Festool for plastic paint correction (mirror housings, bumpers, rocker panels), but this car had excellent paint on those parts, so I just wooled it along with the sheet metal.

I start on an X5 Saturday and will see what the condition is. It's some kind of pearl Olive color (black interior). Might be a good candidate for some in-process pictures.

Toto

P1et
06-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Your work is and will always be sublime Toto, I hope your boss appreciates who he has working for him!

Gary Sword
06-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Your work is and will always be sublime Toto, I hope your boss appreciates who he has working for him!

Maybe we should all email owner and let him know how great of a detailer Toto is and that he needs a very big raise or a free bimmer.