PDA

View Full Version : New car, Opti-coat and water spots

Audi8
09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
OK - bit of a background. I'm probably older than most people on this site (70) - but it doesn't make me less of and autogeek. When you're into cars for 50+ years, you're into cars. New cars are basically impossible to "work on" and at my age, do I want to? But I love a well groomed vehicle.

My birthday gift to me was a new A4 - lease. I decided I did not want to spend days and days detailing so I researched alternatives. Calling Auto Geek the tech informed me of Opti-Coat 2.

I waited until the dealer's wax job had just about worn off- about 7 weeks.

Washed and dried the car. Applied Menzerna Final Polish, wiped with IPA and applied the OP. I noticed I was using VERY little so I did the entire vehicle twice. Still I only used 10cc. Left the car in the shade for 24 hours - after which I sprayed to check the beading. Worked wonderfully BUT, I did not dry the car. The next day I discovered all the beads had left water spots ( now 48 hours out) and I was more than a little upset. I tried: Meguairs Car Wash, IPA and vinegar - none totally removed the spots. Finally I used the Menzerna on the trunk lid and the spots were removed, but had I compromised the integrity of the OP?

A Google search produced the website for Optimum Products. Speaking with the gentleman he assured me that I had not removed the OC. He also assured me that the mineral deposits were lying on top of the OC and not in it.

I still had a hood and roof to deal with. This time I tried Mothers Engineered Spray Wax, buffed off with a microfiber towel. It very nicely removed all the spots. No polish, no chance of removal. It doesn't matter to me that the wax won't adhere to the OC. It was the spot removal that was important.

Again calling Optimum, another chat. It seems any good detailer or spray wax will do the job. They really should put more info in their literature, but all's well that ends well.

Just finished raining here - car has no spots.

Ready to do the wife's car.

VP Mark
09-16-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm not exactly sure what your question is here. The menz final polish should not be enough to remove the OC, especially if you treated it twice. As long as the trunk is still beading and continues to bead, you should be ok. :)

BlackHawk
09-16-2013, 12:57 PM
You sprayed your car and didnt dry it.......that hurts just listening to it

Evan.J
09-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes the OC has not been compromised and while it is a coating its not bullet proof. You will still need to keep up with it just like paint. You will not want to let hard water sit on the car nor bird bombs or anything of that nature so keep that in mind.

swanicyouth
09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
You can spray a car and not dry it. But, you have to use DI water. Tap water has a ton of minerals in it and is night and day from rain water.

If you've ever noticed, a waxed car usually will not leave water spots if rain water dries on it. Water from a tap, sprinkler, or hose will leave water spots almost every time.

DMark1
09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Invest in a Toro leaf blower, and use that puppy to dry your car after washing. It only takes a few minutes, gets into all the cracks, and keeps you from having to touch the paint, thus avoiding potential swirl marks or scratches.

tguil
09-16-2013, 07:44 PM
OK - bit of a background. I'm probably older than most people on this site (70) - but it doesn't make me less of and autogeek. When you're into cars for 50+ years, you're into cars. New cars are basically impossible to "work on" and at my age, do I want to? But I love a well groomed vehicle.....
I have you beat by a year and have been into cars for 55 years...going clear back to the days of Cadillac Blue Coral Polish and Wax. It seems like new products are coming out daily. Makes it a bit hard for us "mature" guys to keep up. I was about to try OptiCoat 2.0 but now think that I'll go with DP Coating because application seems to be a bit less of a hassle. On the other hand I may just stick with Megs Ultimate Wax. Heck, I could even throw on a layer of Megs #16. Unfortunately I haven't had any Blue Coral around for a long, long time.

By the way was not drying your car after checking for beading a "senior moment"? :)

Tom :cool:

Audi8
09-16-2013, 09:13 PM
There really wasn't a question, just sharing what would take the spots off. More of a response to what I had read in another thread concerning water spot removal and sharing what I'd learned by the whole experience.

The car was under cover, so yes it was an oversight on my part. I think I was so impressed by the water running off that I thought I was in the clear.

Yes, I used Blue Coral back in the day. Also loved Classic Products.

The OC was very easy to apply, it flashed rather quickly and I kept the supplied microfiber towel handy but there were few to none high spots.

I do have a leaf blower - next wash it's coming out - thanks.