PDA

View Full Version : Me & the WG twins had to go a little bit medieval on my son's new to him '10 328i

Pages : [1] 2

civdiv99
09-14-2013, 10:18 PM
My son knew what he wanted in shopping for his car, but it turns out he got some extra options with his purchase - incl DISO, with side helpings of swirls and scratches.

I went with him to the buy; someone had to drive him, and hey, ya never know, maybe they'd be looking for some extra help exercising some "M" models. No such luck on that. I tell ya what though, they have a real problem there. I am not a "detailer," so maybe some of you battle hardened polishing veterans wouldn't be surprised, but I had never seen so many high end cars in one spot just brutalized by a prep department or detailing service, or whatever they use. While the buy experience was just fine (all prearranged, zero hassle), I chewed the dude out about the obvious work I had ahead of me unscrewing their handy work, whilst at the same time forcefully declining his offer to have "their guy" try to fix it. And, since he remained interested in what I was talking about AFTER they had already made a sale, I gave him a 90 second class on the difference twixt a swirl and a squirrel. 90 seconds only, though, 'cause I got no dog in that fight. But damn it was painful to pass by those loaded late model 6s and 7s and Ms (at least one was $80K+) that someone had hacked up with buffer trails and the like.

(Word to ambitious detailers in South Seattle area - there's a certain BMW dealer off the I5 in he vicinity of Tacoma that has a real problem here; no clue if they REALLY care though)

So after bringing this low mileage '10 CPO home, it was time to get to work and school the young new owner at the same time. The before pictures are actually after washing, claying, and a thorough going over with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to help get rid of any glaze or other crapola (TOGW).

The after pics are following 6, 8, or sometimes more section passes (correction need depending) with WGTSR, followed by 4~6 passes of WG finishing glaze, followed by BFWD.

It is a really nice color once you can actually see it. Now, when reviewing the pictures, please note this is a daily driver that lives outside, so perfection was not on the menu. Also, I took all the pics with an iPad 2, so "megapixels" ain't on the table either. I don't necessarily have 'fore and afters of the exact same panels. Before was in the morning, and after in afternoon, and the sun was where it was, so there we are.

Nevertheless, for a dude that just does this in a hobby/relaxing/takin' care of stuff context, I was (am) real happy with how this finish came out. We have probably close to 8 hours in it all told.

On with a few shots of before/after. Thanks or watching!

And after a day of work...........(note, some of the pics have "blemishes," but I dunno why - the blemishes are not on he car itself, though)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

civdiv99
09-14-2013, 10:24 PM
BTW, today's plan was just the paint. Wheels, etc. were not tackled.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Nice little story and intro. Great job unscrewing their handiwork. I'm sure there were plenty of high dollars cars swirled up.

Not even the 100k plus cars are excluded. They all get the treatment.

I'm sure he is thrilled now with the way the car looks.

VISITOR
09-14-2013, 10:45 PM
congrats to your son on the new purchase and he's lucky to have someone like you undo the damage. love the color as well...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21380&d=1379214691

greatwhitenorth
09-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Wow it looks much better!

Kevin Cullen
09-14-2013, 11:01 PM
That is one AWESOME color!!

civdiv99
09-14-2013, 11:31 PM
That is one AWESOME color!!

Agreed! They call it "Barbera Red Metallic". I think 2010 was its last year, replaced by Vermillion Red.

FUNX650
09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Good thread-starter title!! :xyxthumbs:

The "before"-photos depict that this vehicle had already been brutalized; and, had incurred
such-violence in what appears to have been a seemingly ancient and extremely raw way!

The vehicle looks so much better now!
But don't you just despise orange peel? I do!!

:)

Bob

Paul Mitchell
09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Great job. Looks much better now.

parttimer
09-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Nice job! I know a guy that bought a BRAND new 911 turbo that looks like your pictures!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

shortcut11
09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Beautiful color and not sure if this is your sons first bimmer or not but if so welcome to the wonderful world of BMW

swanicyouth
09-15-2013, 03:26 PM
That is a nice color and a nice car. That car is screaming for some 18" M option wheels.

I was thinking of these:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/pagy2e3e.jpg

I would love my next BMW to be that color, but for some reason all the dealers order is black, white, and silver.

I can't believe all the cars on the lot of that dealer are that jacked up. They need to #### can their detailer and get someone their who at least won't make the cars worse. All the BMW dealers aren't like that. The BMW dealer I use has some flawless cars in their showroom (new cars), I doesn't seem like they do any polishing to the used ones unless they are bad, as the lightly swirled ones are left that way.

Superman0440
09-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Nice job

otruba_843
09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Agreed! They call it "Barbera Red Metallic". I think 2010 was its last year, replaced by Vermillion Red.

They must have made a strange formula of Barbera Red when the car was painted. It's usually a little darker and more maroon than red. I thought it was Vermillion Red at first. I love Barbera and Vermillion so much. I have Monaco Blue myself.

civdiv99
09-15-2013, 10:45 PM
They must have made a strange formula of Barbera Red when the car was painted. It's usually a little darker and more maroon than red. I thought it was Vermillion Red at first. I love Barbera and Vermillion so much. I have Monaco Blue myself.

His car can look different to me in different light. It looks like a wine color to my eyes. I took a number of pics and ones in the shade or even under the canopy look like a different color in the resulting pic. So, yep, Barbera is def the color, but the way this little tablet aperture captures that color may be a bit more variable.