PDA

View Full Version : Citrus Wash AND Paint Cleanser?

Lindy
09-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Is it safe/recommended to use both CG Citrus Wash at the wax-stripping concentration AND a paint cleanser like P21S Paintwork Cleanser?

Background:
My car is silver and about 1 year old. The paint is like new and doesn't need polishing, just cleaning. In the few months I've had it, I've clay barred and put on a couple of coats of Collinite 476 and Carnuba. I live in the northern part of the country where the winters are long, dirty, salty and sandy. Before winter arrives, I want to strip off the wax that is on the car and get it prepared for the next 4 months. I like Collinite 476 for its durability.

Plan of attack:
1. Wash - CG Citrus Wash Red (at the "wax-stripping concentration")
2. Clay Bar
3. Paint Cleaning - P21S Paintwork Cleanser
4. Wax - Collinite 476 (2 coats)

My questions:
Do the CG Citrus Wash Red and the P21S paint cleaner do the same thing?
Is using both overkill?
Is it unsafe to use both?
Is there a better car wash to use before claying and paint cleansing?

MajinAl
09-14-2013, 06:54 PM
i think the p21 PC will do the majority of stripping of old LSP,
There is a couple of threads here about how the "dawn" any kind of soap will not strip wax or sealant.
Also clay ing will help remove old wax.

ski2
09-14-2013, 08:18 PM
The myth that strong detergent washes remove old LSPs has pretty much been debunked, so something like P21 Paint Work Cleanser, DG Squeaky Clean, DP Coating Prep, Griot's Paint Prep would be needed to remove old LSPs.

That being said, I still use CG Citrus Wash (the original) before my spring and fall details just to give everything a really good cleaning even though it might be unnecessary or overkill.

silverfox
09-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I've never used car soap to strip with because its folly to think that washing a car is all it takes to completely remove a good sealant. Not sure about waxes because I have no use for them.

I took my car through 3 months worth of touchless car washes with DG 105 last winter and we all hear about how harsh touchless car washes are...and I still had to polish the sealant off in the spring.

I've used the CG soap to aid in removing a sealant but the only way i have been successful in completely remove a sealant is with polishing or a good paint cleaner via a polisher.

swanicyouth
09-14-2013, 08:36 PM
The Citrus Wash at 1oz / gallon will remove carnauba waxes like Souverän, P21S, and Bouncers. It won't remove polymers sealants. At least that's what I've found in my testing.

The P21S Paint Cleaner will remove polymer sealants. You can use both products simultaneously, they are not interchangeable. One is meant to deep clean paint, the other is for wash the whole automobile.

Lindy
09-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The reason I ask the question about Citrus Wash is this -- quoted from a product description of "Citrus Wash 16 oz" on another web site:
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash -- Product Description

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash is an extremely concentrated paintwork cleaning shampoo. The citrus based cleaning agents are extremely gentle and safe to use on your vehicle's entire exterior. Just add one ounce per gallon of water to create a paint safe shampoo formula that can remove the old sealant and wax on your paint.
(bold is mine)

Anyhow, if it's safe to use both the concentrated car wash and paint cleanser, that's what I'll do.

Shortspark
09-14-2013, 08:48 PM
I use both of these products together all the time. I don't know if it is the Citrus wash or the Paintwork Cleanser but the car comes out squeaky clean and ready for the LSP.

ski2
09-15-2013, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=swanicyouth;949667]The Citrus Wash at 1oz / gallon will remove carnauba waxes like Souverän, P21S, and Bouncers. It won't remove polymers sealants. At least that's what I've found in my testing. QUOTE]

It seems that the strong shampoos won't even remove waxes according to PiPUK's second test-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping-4.html See post #38

freddie46
09-15-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm not familiar with CG citrus wash. I have used GG Paint Prep to remove old wax, synthetic sealants, etc. Works great. You apply after washing before drying. Spray on, let sit, massage with gloved hands if necessary and rinse off. Then dry the car. If you use this product/method, you should not have to use a paint cleaner unless there are scratches/swirl marks to remove.

After removing the wax, i would use paint clay and then apply wax or sealer.

Good luck.