PDA

View Full Version : wet-sanding attempt by previous owner?

gen.oneill
09-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi, first post here :)

I bought a used 2010 Mazda 3 a few months ago.
It had a couple of small door dings and scratches, but I didn't mind them too much.

Later, I noticed that there is a part of the passenger door panel that looks hazy or cloudy, setting it apart from the rest of the car.

Given that it's right over the area with several scratch marks, I assume the previous owner tried to fix the scratches, without success (as you can see).

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qvf2c8.jpg

I did some research online and it seems like the result of wet-sanding without using compound to polish it afterwards.

What do I need to fix this hazy area so that it looks like the rest of the car? Just some compound and elbow grease? I'm less concerned about the scratches as they look difficult to fix..

This is probably a basic question for most of you, but I'm new to the detailing world and I wanted to check that I wasn't going to do something stupid.

Thank you!

rmagnus
09-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Welcome to AGO.

I'd like to see a picture abit more wide angle to get a better perspective.

The direct answer to your question is machine polish out the scratches with compound the polish and seal with wax or sealant.

Depending on the wetsanding if done correctly they would have finished with a grip sandpaper in the range of 2000-3000. If so a DA polisher with a mf pad can handle removing those scratches. Traditionally they are removed with a rotary polisher and a wool pad then polished up and waxed.

In recent time most have been taking the sanding jobs to the 2500 grit and even 3000+ grit for easier finish work. At lower grits the paint will be left with a haze at higher grit 3000+ the paint will have some gloss and reflection.

Does that help you? Do you own a DA or rotary polisher?

gen.oneill
09-15-2013, 06:59 AM
I doubt this was done professionally. More than likely, the previous owner saw something on the internet and tried it out.

I don't have a DA or rotary polisher, unfortunately.

What can I do if I just want the haziness gone? Taking out the scratches as well might turn out to be a bigger job than I may want to commit/invest in.

I'll try to get a wide angle picture once my car is clean again (I live down a long dirt road). Thanks for your help.

rmagnus
09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Simple answer is hire a detailer. To do any kind of quality work you will need a polisher.

Without expierence or handyman confidence you can do more damage than good with sandpaper. Just hire a detailer to make it look better.

If you post where your from maybe a forum member is close by and can lend a helping hand.

Evan.J
09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
As always Ralph great info there!

octane
09-15-2013, 07:15 PM
that just looks like a door that was against your door when someone got out..

gen.oneill
09-17-2013, 12:37 AM
that just looks like a door that was against your door when someone got out..

That's probably what caused the scratches.

I'm not really concerned about the scratches though, but rather the off-putting haziness in and around the area which, to my untrained eyes, look like the result of light sanding.
Sorry it's hard to see at first glance (you have to look at the reflection closely). I'll try to post a better picture when I can.

Mike Phillips
09-17-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm not really concerned about the scratches though, but rather the off-putting haziness in and around the area which, to my untrained eyes, look like the result of light sanding.

You can probably fix it yourself by hand or machine.

By hand, get a compound that can be used by hand, not all compounds work by hand on clear coats. The new Wolfgang Uber compound can be used by hand.

You can also fix this by machine, if you don't own a polisher and want to keep your car looking it's best then move up to machine polishing and again, use a high quality compound to remove the haze which is likely sanding marks that were not completely removed.

Review: Wolfgang Uber Compound (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/70068-review-wolfgang-uber-compound.html)

Before

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2039/1995_BMW_325i_004.jpg

After

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2039/1995_BMW_325i_021.jpg

If you want to do this by hand, the Wolfgang Uber Compound is available in an 8 ounce bottle.

Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0 - 8 ounce (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-uber-compound.html)

Read this article on working by hand on clear coats...

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/26612-how-use-hand-applied-abrasive-polish-paint-cleaner-hand.html)

It's a lot easier though to learn how to be your own detailer...

It's not that hard... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/55512-s-not-hard.html)

:)

Setec Astronomy
09-17-2013, 06:59 AM
A couple of things...I don't think that was wetsanded, probably someone just used a rocks-in-a-bottle scratch remover or compound on it. Second, from that picture it looks like the scratches are down to the primer (or at least deep) and I wouldn't try to take them out. Third, Mike has given you some good links, and you can also get some products locally to shine up that area, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and/or Ultimate Polish should do it.

PS gen.oneill....Jack?

stilltipping3
09-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Simple answer is hire a detailer. To do any kind of quality work you will need a polisher.

Without expierence or handyman confidence you can do more damage than good with sandpaper. Just hire a detailer to make it look better.

If you post where your from maybe a forum member is close by and can lend a helping hand.

This is the real answer!!! We have invested in all the machines, products, time, and knowledge so pay a pro to do it once correctly. Then move on with your bad ass new shiny whip!

gen.oneill
09-17-2013, 10:20 AM
A couple of things...I don't think that was wetsanded, probably someone just used a rocks-in-a-bottle scratch remover or compound on it. Second, from that picture it looks like the scratches are down to the primer (or at least deep) and I wouldn't try to take them out. Third, Mike has given you some good links, and you can also get some products locally to shine up that area, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and/or Ultimate Polish should do it.

PS gen.oneill....Jack?

I am going to grab some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound since I can just drive down to an auto store and get it.

Side question: I'm going to be claying and waxing the car soon as well, so is it a good idea to use the Ultimate Compound on the whole car after claying? I don't think the car paint has been taken care of very well by the previous owner, but the car looks ok except for some door handle scratches and not having that showroom quality clarity and gloss.
As I understand it, compound and polish work by abrading some of the clear coat away and I guess as a newbie, I kind of wince at the thought of the clear coat getting thinner and thinner.

And yes! I'm a huge Stargate nerd. :dblthumb2: