PDA

View Full Version : DP paint sealant prep?

68bowtie
09-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm looking at getting the DP paint sealant and was wondering if my bf gloss enhancing polish would work before applying the DP sealant. I just don't want to have to buy the DP stuff because I'm trying to keep costs down

silverfox
09-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Why would you not follow up one Blackfire product with another if you already have one of them ?

cleanmycorolla
09-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Why would you not follow up one Blackfire product with another if you already have one of them ?

Agree

And OP you're talking about the new poly coat sealant or the paint coating? If you're talking the sealant, GEP should be fine. If the paint coating I would not use GEP.

68bowtie
09-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Sorry I meant the new paint coating.

MarkD51
09-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Sorry I meant the new paint coating.

Hi, The differences I see between the two paint prep products being mentioned, the BF GEP, and DP Paint Prep, is that the GEP has Glaze-Fillers in it, whereas the DP product does not.

This might likely play havoc with application, and proper bonding of the DP Paint Coating.

I myself didn't use the DP Paint Prep before applying the coating, but did do a fast mild polish with Menzerna SF4500 and a white pad, and then spritzed the car down with Carpro Eraser.

I take it you don't need to go the polish route, that paint condition is fine in that regard.

How we all know those AG-Autopia orders always seem to start out small, but end up big!

For the extra $20, it might still be the wisest route before the Paint Coating IMO.
No doubt after the use of the Paint Coating, you'll be looking hard to find something else to put it on.
Mark

68bowtie
09-14-2013, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=MarkD51;949535]Hi, The differences I see between the two paint prep products being mentioned, the BF GEP, and DP Paint Prep, is that the GEP has Glaze-Fillers in it, whereas the DP product does not.

This might likely play havoc with application, and proper bonding of the DP Paint Coating.

I myself didn't use the DP Paint Prep before applying the coating, but did do a fast mild polish with Menzerna SF4500 and a white pad, and then spritzed the car down with Carpro Eraser.

I take it you don't need to go the polish route, that paint condition is fine in that regard.

How do u like the coati g so far? Is it slick? Im just looking for a good easy coating for mine and the wifes everyday cars. I usually do bfwd before winter but I want something with a little more protection. Also is the dp coating supposed to help against light scratches and maring. The paint on my impala is really soft just using v7 and a good microfiber towel I need to be careful or i'll put light scratches in it.

MarkD51
09-14-2013, 03:47 PM
As a little bit of additional info, and some further blathering, about 3 weeks ago I yanked the Covercraft NOAH cover off my Tahoe (in the avatar), did a wipe down with pure water only, and said "oh what the hell", and whipped out the little bottle of DP Paint Coating, and went to town!

I coated everything, including all glass, wiper Arms, Grill, any Chrome, except Back Bumper, because I knew that was going to come off shortly after.

Now, I probably got enough product in the way of tough Sealants on the Tahoe, to treat a 1/2 dozen vehicles, two coats of WGDGPS 3.0 right after I did a full correction about 7 months ago, one coat of Menzerna Powerlock, a couple weeks later and maybe a coat or two of WGDGLS (Liquid Seal WOWA) in the past couple months, I forget? LOL

99.9% of the folks here would mostly say I "wasted" the DP Paint Coating by applying it over this assortment of durable Sealant products, and I would agree with them totally, but I figured "the heck with it, it's MY vehicle I'm wasting product on, not a customer's, or someone else's vehicle.

As for application of the DP Paint Coating, this time I used a new blue Wally World MF Applicator, it seemed a bit easier to hang onto versus the yellow foam applicator I used when I did my Kia Spectra.

DP Paint Coating is "draggy" upon initial application no matter what is used to apply it, but something must've stuck to the finish, because with the follow-up with MF Towel, the paint was feeling quite slick-slippery.

The finished results looked mighty nice, glassy, lustrous. If I don't get as long a protection as I would've, properly applying it with a DP Paint Prep product first, this doesn't bother me that much.

If you're dealing with a "garage queen", like your avatar depicts, maybe you'll be fine by not over-thinking the product, and just go ahead with what you have? I doubt there'll be much of any foul other than a bit of loss of bonding, and longevity.
Mark

MarkD51
09-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I notice the Kia seems very easy to wash since I applied the DP Paint Coating. Dirts come off effortlessly. I coated all the hupcaps and wheels as well, and they too are easy to clean with just the mild car soap mixture.

I think yes, that the Paint Coating should offer some better marring resistance versus products even like Menz Powerlock, WGDGPS 3.0, and any of the regular WOWA Sealants.

MarkD51
09-14-2013, 03:57 PM
DP Paint Coating is IMO even more slick than Menz Powerlock, and WGDGPS 3.0, which are no slouches IMO.

It is a "fooler" product, because when applying it, it feels so draggy.
This slickness during a final finish wipedown is a good indicator of where you have, and where you haven't applied the product, because the difference in feel is quite noticeable.
Mark

cleanmycorolla
09-14-2013, 04:02 PM
^^I don't know why you keep saying its draggy, it's not really its just not like a wowa sealant. If you use carpro applicators or optimum ones is very easy and not at all draggy. Yellow applicators will cause drag I've learned though.

And I know it's your car and your desire but why in the world apply a coating to paint that's not bare is odd, but hey it's your ride. :) but certainly something the 99.9% of us wouldn't. I can see topping for fun sake, but not applying it over something. So keep that in mind OP you want the paint totally void of anything.

68bowtie
09-14-2013, 04:18 PM
No I would just do a light polish of my impala then wipe it down before the coating. I think I might get the dp prep stuff.

MarkD51
09-14-2013, 05:37 PM
^^I don't know why you keep saying its draggy, it's not really its just not like a wowa sealant. If you use carpro applicators or optimum ones is very easy and not at all draggy. Yellow applicators will cause drag I've learned though.

And I know it's your car and your desire but why in the world apply a coating to paint that's not bare is odd, but hey it's your ride. :) but certainly something the 99.9% of us wouldn't. I can see topping for fun sake, but not applying it over something. So keep that in mind OP you want the paint totally void of anything.

Evidently so, and no disagreement with what you've said, wise words.

Me, My crusty ole Tahoe is at about 16 years of age. Yet the paint is in better condition than many show cars. My Tahoe has 39.800 miles on the odometer. You try finding a 1997 Tahoe with that little original mileage.

$20 measly dollars for a paint prep? Hell, I blew $20 on a fifth of Bombay Sapphire Gin this afternoon.

Figuring a total, of what I blew since I became a member here, about $1700. I'm catching up to old AG pros like Bobby G. When I eventually have me a Vette in the stall like Bobby, I'll then be looking at Master Blasters, and the fancy Korean MF Towels,

And a Garage, with hopefully a new home to go with. I'm sick of where I live right now, too many low lifes, and clowns.