PDA

View Full Version : Iron-X question???

Pages : [1] 2 3

runrun411
09-13-2013, 10:50 PM
I keep reading threads about people using Iron X. Is the difference that significant? Can it be helpful after flaying and compounding?

2old2change
09-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Iron-X is a great decontamination product to have in ones arsenal. When used in combination with claying it's a good 1-2 punch. Compounding or paint correction is usually done after the de-con process.

dooyaunastan
09-13-2013, 11:14 PM
2old2change made an important note about claying & using IronX before compounding or polishing, but I also wanted to share an excellent & insightful review of IronX

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/42651-review-carpro-iron-x.html

evo77
09-13-2013, 11:14 PM
It's significant only if you can actually see many iron deposits on the paint (better described as tiny rust specks). If not its just another aid in helping maintain a flawless finish.

On my 2012 Cruze I had very little "bleed" when I used Iron X. I was happy that it at least completely removed sporadic spots that the clay bar could not.

Did it magically add more gloss or depth to the paint? Of course not. Is it worth it? I think so. Think of it as a compliment to the clay bar.

tswitz
09-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Does anyone use it in a foam cannon? What dilution rate?

zmcgovern45
09-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Does anyone use it in a foam cannon? What dilution rate?

They have Iron X Snow Foam for this purpose.

wdmaccord
09-14-2013, 12:13 PM
The snow soap however is not nearly as effective as the spray or paste. Use the spray or paste for a first time decon. Then use the snow soap everytime you are going to re-apply your LSP as a maintenance in a foamer. At next tear down try the spray or paste again and if you don't get any reaction, you can probably just snow soap it going forward each time you re-apply LSP or tear down.

HateSwirls
09-14-2013, 12:35 PM
I've never tried it but I think I'd like to do my 08' RAV4 and my 96' GMC truck.
I'm sure I'd see a lot of bleeding on my truck even thought its well maintained.

tswitz
09-14-2013, 03:54 PM
The snow soap however is not nearly as effective as the spray or paste. Use the spray or paste for a first time decon. Then use the snow soap everytime you are going to re-apply your LSP as a maintenance in a foamer. At next tear down try the spray or paste again and if you don't get any reaction, you can probably just snow soap it going forward each time you re-apply LSP or tear down.

That's a bummer. I just bought two bottles thinking it would be a great decom partner with my Nanoskin mitt. Was going to.go straight to polish after using them.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AG Online

BMWguy206
09-14-2013, 05:34 PM
That's a bummer. I just bought two bottles thinking it would be a great decom partner with my Nanoskin mitt. Was going to.go straight to polish after using them.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AG Online

I've heard some bad reviews on the snow soap that it does not show a reaction when on the paint because it's diluted. One person recommended to apply some of the snow soap directly onto the mitt and wash the car and got better results. You may want to try that.

FUNX650
09-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Don't forget to be sure to "fill-up" the: Any number of voids left in the CC, (from being IronX'ed), with an LSP of choice.

The amount of "bleeding" that occurs is one determinate of the amount of these holes.
A 30x magnifying-lens is another.

:)

Bob

MarkD51
09-15-2013, 09:07 AM
It's significant only if you can actually see many iron deposits on the paint (better described as tiny rust specks). If not its just another aid in helping maintain a flawless finish.

On my 2012 Cruze I had very little "bleed" when I used Iron X. I was happy that it at least completely removed sporadic spots that the clay bar could not.

Did it magically add more gloss or depth to the paint? Of course not. Is it worth it? I think so. Think of it as a compliment to the clay bar.

I was skeptical myself, due to the age of my 1997 white SUV, and how many countless wax-sealant applications had been done over the years.

That changed after applying the Iron-X, and seeing quite a bit of bleed on all panels, not just the horizontal ones. I could not see any particular evidence under close scrutiny of any iron stuck in-to the paint before that application.

Maybe I am not experienced enough to know what to look for, or inadequate lighting, but I really don't think so.

MarkD51
09-15-2013, 09:12 AM
One question I always had about Iron-X, is this basically considered to be a "one time use" product, or is iron particles-dust something that can continually plague a finish over it's life span?

I'm thinking that not only is the origin of the iron particulates being rail dust, but that it can also be dust from Brakes (Rotors-Pads-environment-exposure)

FUNX650
09-15-2013, 09:40 AM
One question I always had about Iron-X, is this basically considered to be a "one time use" product, or is iron particles-dust something that can continually plague a finish over it's life span?

I'm thinking that not only is the origin of the iron particulates being rail dust, but that it can also be dust from Brakes (Rotors-Pads-environment-exposure)
Contamination in many forms, including iron particles from various sources,
indeed can continually plague vehicles' finishes over its life span.

:)

Bob

ken tuep
09-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I can iron-x every 2 weeks, and will still see some bleeding. Its a viscious cycle, I usually use snow soap for maintenance washes on my wife's white Dodge journey, and it always bleeds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online