PDA

View Full Version : Total detail noob - help me build a list for my black car!

Amplifyre
09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Hey geeks!

I own a beautiful 2006 Mustang GT premium with loads of aesthetic work done to it, but I've never properly detailed it in all the years I've owned her. That needs to change! I've been reading as much as possible, and the detailing world is pretty intimidating and full of different information. I put together a little list of products to order so far, but I'm always looking for suggestions!

Right now I have Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Wax. Are these good to use on black? My car has a little bit of swirling and machine hazing from a previous detail job at a local place, and in the sunlight you can see white hazes all down the side panels and it looks like there are a lot of white fine scratches all down the fender, as if the detailing shop took a metal brush to it :\

My fear is that ultimate compound is too harsh for my paint... and I've heard M105 and M205 aren't that good for black either? I have no idea which compound, if any, I should use, or if I should just go ahead and polish and skip compounding?

Here's what I have so far, with the goal being an affordable full detail -

Wheels/Tires - Pampered, good-looking tires and wheels are just minutes away with the Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wg8500.html)
Trim/Plastic - 303 Aerospace Protectant 16 oz (http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html)
Buffing & Polish/Wax Application - Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html)

I'm looking to keep it around $300-350ish at most if that's doable! What are some good microfiber towels I should get? Anything I'm missing that would help at all?

Thanks so much for the help! I can't wait to get my black beauty shining once again!

kevincwelch
09-13-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm just a beginner, but I have a dark car. This is what I like to use.

Shampoo: Chemical Guys Mr Pink, DP Xtreme Foam, Griot's Garage (GG), Blackfire

Clay: GG

Compound/polish/finish: Menzerna FG400, IP2000/FF3000, SF4000 + Meguiar m105/m205

Glaze: Blackfire gloss enhancing polish

Sealants: Blackfire Wet Diamond, Menzerna Powerlock, Wolfgang 3.0

Spray sealant: Blackfire, GTechniq C1.5

Wax: Collinite 845, Mothers, Meguiars paste

Nanos: Permanon, GTechniq C1/EXOv2

Spray Wax: Pinnacle Souveran

Quick Detailer: Poorboy, GG Speedshine

Waterless wash: Ultima, DP, Optimum

Rinseless: ONR

Wheels: IronX, Sonax Full Effect, CHemical Guys Diablo

Tires: Meguiars APC 1:4, Pinnacle tire gel/black onyx spray

Trim: Poorboys, GTechniq C4

Interior Vinyl: DP cleaner, Poorboy's natural look

Leather: Lexol 3-in-1, GG Leather, Blackfire/Wolfgang/Pinnacle samples

Carpet: 303 products

Glass: Sonax, Pinnacle

Polisher: GG/Rupes 15

Pads: LC CCS 6.5, 5.5 and Rupes pads.

Microfibers: GG Speed Shine towels, Chinchillas, various size naps...all the high quality stuff for the paint, and I picked up a pack of 30 or so from Costco for jambs and interior work/wheel work.

Misc: Poorboys bird Sh#t remover...

(I went a bit overboard for my two cars...but I have a lot of freakin' fun.)