PDA

View Full Version : NAnoskin fine vs medium?

touchdowntodd
09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
thoughts?

real world differences?

need to order one of these to try out

Evan.J
09-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Fine would be the way to go. Most vehicles need the fine. Its rare that a vehiclke will need a medium grade clay. If you need the medium you will find that ill will leave some marring on the paint that will need to be corrected.

KillaCam
09-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Fine would be the way to go. Most vehicles need the fine. Its rare that a vehiclke will need a medium grade clay. If you need the medium you will find that ill will leave some marring on the paint that will need to be corrected.
+1.

Mike Phillips
09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
What are you working on?

What are you trying to accomplish?

:)

touchdowntodd
09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Mike just wanting to try the product out .. newer cars.. mostly well kept .. ill try fine as recomended..

thanks everyone!

Klasse Act
09-13-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm getting the fine grade myself over the winter. After trying one of these out last year at our detailfest that was it! I said once my clay was used up or close to being used up I'd step up, plunk the money down and get that magical towel, it really makes things easier!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Chevota Guy
09-13-2013, 12:43 PM
I just used the Nanoskin FINE grade towel for the first time. I did a 2007 Midnight Blue metallic Tahoe that had a summer's worth of hot California sun baked on contamination and also had considersable overspray from a recent clearcoat on another vehicle.

I was amazed. The towel was quick and provided instant feedback when the contaminants were removed because I could quickly hear and feel the difference as the towel slid effortlessly on the paint as it cleaned. More to my surprise was that it didn't add anymore swirls or scratches on this color that shows everything! I used Meg's #34 detail generously for the lube.

My clay is now retired.

Detailing by M
09-13-2013, 02:11 PM
(in a mad girly voice) FINE!

wompasaurus
09-13-2013, 03:19 PM
so the mild will leave marring on every use? Im in michigan and the majority of cars i work on are contaminated to a point where i can feel them in the washing and drying phase no bag test needed. I ordered the set of both sponges last sale haven't gotten around to using them yet.

ClayR
09-13-2013, 07:41 PM
so the mild will leave marring on every use? Im in michigan and the majority of cars i work on are contaminated to a point where i can feel them in the washing and drying phase no bag test needed. I ordered the set of both sponges last sale haven't gotten around to using them yet.

It is unusual to get maring with the fine pad, just make sure you use plenty of lube. I prefer to use Glide because once you figure the correct dilution rate it is cheap and a little goes a long way. Only on a few cases have I had to use the medium grade, more or less the front bug catching sections where people let them dry on for most of the summer. It is nice to have for a back up.

Brawlman
01-27-2015, 12:43 AM
I used DP rinseless as a lubricant, since I already had it, and still noticed surface contaminant with a baggy? Is it possible to use too much lubricant?
It looked good, but simply ran out of time after doing Black Label Cleansing lotion and Diamond Surface Coating.
I was even taking 3 passes on#2 with the Flex 3401...
The paint wasn't overly contaminated and in good condition.
Would love to hear your input

Hokie335i
01-27-2015, 02:11 AM
I have both and there are definitely uses for both. For 80% of the cars that I do I reach for the FINE grade and it does just fine. However, the MEDIUM definitely has it's moments. If you were to just get one I would say go with the fine pad. I do a wide range of cars though. From well maintained to severely neglected and everything in between so I'm glad I have both.

Ebg18t
01-27-2015, 06:33 AM
I find myself going back to regular clay the more I use my fine nano skin sponge. Sonetimes I feel the regular clay just does a better job.