PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Shooting BMW M-Coupe Wheel Defects

Pages : [1] 2

Ohio Detailing
09-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Hi guys,

I was tending to a client's vehicles this week (he has a personal collection), and during the initial prep stages I of course noticed some very apparent spotting on his wheels. I asked him about it, and he said they have been there since shortly after he purchased the car new (custom order direct from BMW) in 2002. His vehicles are all nearly mint condition, this one for example only has a few thousand miles on it, and it's 12 years old.

Anyway, although I thoroughly cleansed his wheels, since the spotting was still very obvious after my usual steps (APC and Sonax Full Effect) - I wanted to make SURE my next step(s) were precise and calculated. I wouldn't want to deal with the ramifications of harming a collectable BMW M-Coupe of which there are only six EVER MADE by BMW in this configuration!!

So... with the image I'm attaching, what would your prognosis be, and furthermore, what process should I use to either totally remove or even marginally improve this spotting defect?

Acid based spray (wheel brightener), wheel polish with a high speed drill and a foam attachment (cone, buffing ball), perhaps something else I'm not considering... OR... is this perhaps a permanent defect caused by environmental fallout or driving habits and allowing brake dust to bake on for years on end?

THANKS! I return to the client's home tomorrow (Friday August 13th), to begin work on a couple MORE BMWs, so let's hope my luck won't be UNlucky on FRIDAY THE 13TH! :)

PS: The original image was high-definition from one of my Canon cameras, but after uploading it was severely scaled down, so I hope the resolution is alright.

mdeepauto
09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
That is strange. It's almost like a splatter of some sort that stained the paint over time. I like the high-speed drill idea with a cleaner wax or a fine compound so the surface doesn't scratch. (Obviously you know that!)

Be sure to post results!

GenesisCoupe
09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Hmm..it's like i've seen something like that before and couldn't get it out either. What about using a clay bar?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
This has happened to the front right wheel of my wife's BMW. It is exactly the same thing. Now I haven't tried to fix the issue yet. I just wanted to bring this up and say your not alone. My wife's car is a 2011 328i.

Anyways I would try a light polish first as the wheels are clear coated.

JSou
09-12-2013, 11:37 AM
The wheels on my Audi are exactly like that. I haven't tried anything yet as far as claying or polishing but will try to see what results I can get.

FYI, I've seen this on a few BMW's I've worked on. In for your plan of attack.

Ohio Detailing
09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
That is strange. It's almost like a splatter of some sort that stained the paint over time. I like the high-speed drill idea with a cleaner wax or a fine compound so the surface doesn't scratch. (Obviously you know that!)

Be sure to post results!

Thanks a lot - I think the cleaner wax is a great idea, I think I'll combine this with a clay bar idea from GenesisCoupe below :)

Hmm..it's like i've seen something like that before and couldn't get it out either. What about using a clay bar?

Thanks a lot - I think this is a great idea, I mentioned just above I'll combine a clay bar with a cleaner wax tomorrow and a foam attachment on my Makita

This has happened to the front right wheel of my wife's BMW. It is exactly the same thing. Now I haven't tried to fix the issue yet. I just wanted to bring this up and say your not alone. My wife's car is a 2011 328i.

Anyways I would try a light polish first as the wheels are clear coated.

Sounds awesome, I'll try a cleaner wax and maybe some of my Menz polish if that doesn't work. The nice thing is the client realizes it was preexisting for years, and doesn't expect me to work wizardry on something that may not be fixable.

The wheels on my Audi are exactly like that. I haven't tried anything yet as far as claying or polishing but will try to see what results I can get.

FYI, I've seen this on a few BMW's I've worked on. In for your plan of attack.

I can't believe such finely engineered vehicles have had this issue plaguing them... ugh! Haha, I'll definitely report back with my process and new images this weekend as soon as I'm able :)

THANKS GUYS

Klasse Act
09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
What's the rareness of this particular M-coupe? Is it that seafoam color or something?

As far as the spots go, wonder if there was a contaminent in the wheel finishing process and it reared it head down the road?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Ohio Detailing
09-12-2013, 12:19 PM
What's the rareness of this particular M-coupe? Is it that seafoam color or something?

As far as the spots go, wonder if there was a contaminent in the wheel finishing process and it reared it head down the road?

It was one of only 6 ever made with a special white color - I'm sure it has a very fancy name, haha, but the owner shared so much with me about it and his other BMWs etc, I forget. He was very adamant about the 1-of-6 though :)

I think you might be dead-on regarding the wheel... if it was something from the factory that might be the only way to explain how this coupe with so few miles and driven in only flawless rainless days, would have such severe spotting. Perhaps the clear coat was faulty, and allowed the brake dust to penetrate or discolor?

Detailing by M
09-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I'd defiantly polish those.
Looks like it's embedded in the Clear Coat, so treat it like a paint defect.
M105 should do it, but start with a polish first like M205 and the like.
This really should be that hard to fix.

geekdout
09-12-2013, 01:24 PM
I have seen Brake clean leave that same kind of defect. I agree with everyone else that said to polish it out. But I would start with a cleaner wax, I like Prima Wheel Armour it has great cleaning ability.

Klasse Act
09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm subscribed due to curosity and also if you could share with the group his other Beemers, sounds like he's great taste! Does he have a Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3?

swanicyouth
09-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I went through clear coat failure on my M Roadster. Based on the color of the damaged areas it looks like it may be that, but the pattern is odd and not typical. However, there is a spot on the spoke that looks either like clear coat failure or an anomaly in the photo.

I can tell you in 2002 BMW didn't make a lot of M Coupes, or M Roadsters for that matter. I also can tell you that the "brilliant silver" they used for those wheels looks awesome, but the finish is not durable. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts the only fix for that wheel is a professional re-powder coat job.

Clear coat failure on BMW silver wheels shows itself by the "failed area" looking grey - not silver. Usually its sort of jagged, like a mountain top pattern. Likely if you try to hand polish it (if its cc failure) you will see the clear coat flake off in minuscule flakes and the area expand slightly, and that is a pretty sure diagnosis that's what it is.

Those wheels where finished in Germany, the car was assembled in S. Carolina. I was told at the time BMW was using a paint for those "brilliant silver" wheels that contained lead and that this paint was not available in the USA for refinishers.

Now, there is a substitute for this lead paint for the wheel refinishing industry that matches, but I'm sure it cost more than regular silver and not everyone uses it. If the owner is interested in getting the wheels refinished, you want to make sure whoever is doing the job can replicate the "brilliant silver" finish, and not just use silver - as it will detract from the uniqueness and appearance of the vehicle.

Klasse Act
09-13-2013, 07:31 AM
2000 M coupes and roadsters had the E46 M3 engine (333 hp compared to the previous 240 hp E36 engine) and they must pull hard, being in a smaller car!

Ohio Detailing
09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi gents,

I just wanted to offer a quick update since so many of you are interested and I feel like this is a problem that seems to be more wide-spread that I thought.

At the clients home I tried the techniques we talked about here, and with zero... ZERO... visual benefit. It was really odd.

*I spoke with the client, and told him I'm contact BMW on his behalf with images and a description. I'm not sure who, or what department to email though... but I'm really intent on getting at least the issue resolved so I can inform future clients.

Ohio Detailing
09-15-2013, 08:35 PM
...I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts the only fix for that wheel is a professional re-powder coat job.

Clear coat failure on BMW silver wheels shows itself by the "failed area" looking grey - not silver

THIS is my thought exactly... :( What a shame.