PDA

View Full Version : New car need products, help me with some starters

loki993
09-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Ok so I just got a New car and I don't have any detailing products, car I had before I just ran through the auto wash every now and then.

Wax is covered I just found, what I thought was, a screaming deal on a gallon of liquid Nattys Blue. Which I wanted to try anyway because from everything I read its good stuff.

For the other stuff, to get started really basic..I need a sealant, car wash and some vinyl and tire dressing. I know I need other things too but I'll get them later...this will be expensive enough as it is.

I started out looking at Adams waxes as people say they are great, but their prices really made me want to look at other things. Then I found Chemical guys stuff and it seems they have good products and they are reasonably priced...no debates on whether or not they're the same either....lets save that for somewhere else

So I was looking at their Jetseal 109 for a sealant, this is their production that intrigues me the most. I really do want to try it but its expensive. I have no problem paying for something that does a job better than anything else, I just need to know I'm getting value for my money.

The rest of the stuff....their Matte Tire and Vinyl dressing and their Maxi Suds II soap are decent enough products I'm sure so I was just going to go with their line since that seemed the cheapest route. Save on shipping etc

Someone also mentioned that their V7 detailing spray was really good so I was looking at that as well.

So for the money is Chemical Guys a good deal or should I be looking elsewhere for my money?

loki993
09-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Any help at all? did I post this in the wrong section or something?

stemyx
09-12-2013, 09:47 PM
This is something I love to talk about! And I also love chemical guys products. They are a big bang for the buck. I'm also starting out and I have their New Car Shine vinyl and tire dressing as well as their Top coat sealant and I am very proud with my purchases from them. Hope this helped!
Happy detailing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

epikls
09-12-2013, 09:58 PM
For wax use collinite 845
Wash use chemical guys extreme body wash &wax
I also have the chemical guys g6 hyper coat
I use it for vinyl leather and tires it gives a good shine

Evan.J
09-12-2013, 10:20 PM
You can never go wrong with Collinite 845 for a sealant. It's the best bang for the buck.

For tire dressing I have not used anything from chemical guys but I have been using Optimum Opti-Bond tire gel and it's great. Good shine no sling durable.

I do like CG for the soaps that they have I like maxi Suds II and extreme body wash and wax. Other ones I like is Optimum car wash and Meg's super soap If you can find it in a gallon.

I have no used jetseal I bought a bottle
Of blackfire wet diamond and I love it and still going strong.

Just as a reminder AG does price match.

loki993
09-12-2013, 11:21 PM
I was going to use the 20 percent off code here so unfortunately I can't price match this time.

As for the Collinite I looked at that but I was a bit worried it was tough to work with. I probably should just get over it.

Can I put wax over it for some extra pop? Thats what I was going to do with the jetseal.

Is the Optimum Opti-Bond really shiny? I don't really like that super shiny look I think it looks unnatural. I prefer just a matte or light shine and just a nice black.

Rayaz
09-12-2013, 11:52 PM
I prefer Carpro Pearl over opti bond. You can control the shine by dilution and number of applications. I love the optimum products and the wash is great. You also need the Swiss Army knife of detailing;Optimum No Rinse.

I'd also advise an investment in some good towels and a waffle weave or two. Oh crap, you're going to order half the site anyway! Just get as much as you can afford...

conthedon
09-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Is the Optimum Opti-Bond really shiny? I don't really like that super shiny look I think it looks unnatural. I prefer just a matte or light shine and just a nice black.

The opti bond is what youre describing youre looking for, a light shine, its also water based so no greasy feel/sling. You can reapply after you let it sit for a few minutes if you want to bump up gloss. you can find pictures in threads before you makw your decision

Evan.J
09-13-2013, 07:13 AM
I was going to use the 20 percent off code here so unfortunately I can't price match this time.

As for the Collinite I looked at that but I was a bit worried it was tough to work with. I probably should just get over it.

Can I put wax over it for some extra pop? Thats what I was going to do with the jetseal.

Collinite is not that hard you just need to be sure your applying it thin. Nick has a guide on how to use it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html?highlight=collinite+845

You want to apply your sealant like collinite then if you want to top the selant with a wax then you can do so. Since Jet seal is not a wax but a sealant you woulding be ading anything. If you want a good wax for cheap look at DP Max wax Collinite 915. Just remember thin is in! You should barely be able to see the sealant or wax when you apply it. Laying wax or a sealant on thick is just wasteful.

Opti-bond is not shiny it adds a natural look with just one application and a little bit goes a long way. I use the carrad tire brush for this application.

VicVinegar
09-13-2013, 07:51 AM
I used 845 for my first time waxing a car since I was a kid doing it with my Dad watching. No problems putting it on. Just get a nice light haze and wipe off. Don't over think it.

loki993
09-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Collinite is not that hard you just need to be sure your applying it thin. Nick has a guide on how to use it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html?highlight=collinite+845

You want to apply your sealant like collinite then if you want to top the selant with a wax then you can do so. Since Jet seal is not a wax but a sealant you woulding be ading anything. If you want a good wax for cheap look at DP Max wax Collinite 915. Just remember thin is in! You should barely be able to see the sealant or wax when you apply it. Laying wax or a sealant on thick is just wasteful.

Opti-bond is not shiny it adds a natural look with just one application and a little bit goes a long way. I use the carrad tire brush for this application.

That is one thing I need to work on, I've always applied wax thick, paste waxes usually, thinking that was better and wanting to make sure I got full coverage. I've watched enough videos and things that I think I understand now. Also I always waxed in circles too. Another no no

The Opti bond sounds like the ticket..the Carpro Perl looks good too.

As for the Collinite its a wax so..I already have the Poorboys Nattys Blue coming. Though I think I'll get the Collinite too and use that as a winter wax for some extra protection....Michigan.

As for sealants..I found a thread and I kept seeing one thing....Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0....I also saw some mentions of Detailers Ploy coat and Blackfire Wet Diamond...

No mentions of Jetseal 109...though it did do well in a test...but the Wolfgang fof as well...

CDot
09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Ok so I just got a New car and I don't have any detailing products, car I had before I just ran through the auto wash every now and then.

Wax is covered I just found, what I thought was, a screaming deal on a gallon of liquid Nattys Blue. Which I wanted to try anyway because from everything I read its good stuff.

For the other stuff, to get started really basic..I need a sealant, car wash and some vinyl and tire dressing. I know I need other things too but I'll get them later...this will be expensive enough as it is.

I started out looking at Adams waxes as people say they are great, but their prices really made me want to look at other things. Then I found Chemical guys stuff and it seems they have good products and they are reasonably priced...no debates on whether or not they're the same either....lets save that for somewhere else

So I was looking at their Jetseal 109 for a sealant, this is their production that intrigues me the most. I really do want to try it but its expensive. I have no problem paying for something that does a job better than anything else, I just need to know I'm getting value for my money.

The rest of the stuff....their Matte Tire and Vinyl dressing and their Maxi Suds II soap are decent enough products I'm sure so I was just going to go with their line since that seemed the cheapest route. Save on shipping etc

Someone also mentioned that their V7 detailing spray was really good so I was looking at that as well.

So for the money is Chemical Guys a good deal or should I be looking elsewhere for my money?

Welcome to AG!

You seem like you're in the "enthusiast/hobbyist" category--like me--so I'll give you my opinion from that point of view.

1. Don't go psycho on products, it's temping but it will empty your wallet and bank account.
2. Evaluate products based on total value; enthusiasts don't have the "luxury" of going thru products quickly like the pro's do. Pro's can evaluate all kinds of stuff and buy as they desire because they are detailing constantly. If you buy a product, it could be in your arsenal for years.
3. Look into getting something that be used for more than one thing. I got a sample of WGDG Spritz sealant on my last order; you can use as a spray sealant on the car, wheels, and as a Rain-X substitute.

Wax: I cannot impress upon you just how good Collinite #845 is. It is the best all-around value wax for the money if you use it as instructed--no others come close. There are others who look better, but don't last as long or cost as little. It has a 5 Star rating on AG with 88 reviews--not even WGDGPS has that many.

Sealant: I have never used one, so it's up to you. #845 acts like a sealant though; I've gotten up to 7 months out of one coat on a garaged vehicle. AG offers a combo with Detailer's Poli-Coat Sealant that looks like a great value for the money.

Car Shampoo: I use Mr. Pink right now from Chemical Guys and I love it. It works gently, but VERY well and rinses very clean. CG's Citrus Wash & Gloss, Honeydew Snowfoam, & Citrus Wash Clear are well liked. Duragloss 901 is the "collinite 845" of car shampoo. 16 oz is only $5.99 on AG, it can be picked up at CarQuest locally, and it's universally loved.

Vinyl & Tire Dressing: Add Eco Touch's Tire Shine to your list of contenders! It can be used on tires, trim, dashboards, & leather. Reviews: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/34998-product-review-eco-touch-tire-shine.html and http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/59523-son1c-synopsis-23-eco-touch-premium-car-care-tire-shine-review.html

Have you set your sights on MF towels yet? If not, the Gold Plush Jr's and the Super Soft Deluxe Blue Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges are great values!

loki993
09-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Ok so heres what I ended up with.

WG DGP 3.0
Carpro PERL..I got this because I can use it on that tied and dilute it for the interior and leather as well
a DP clay bar kit
Iron X
Chemical Guys Honeydew
some microfiber detergent
and some squeeze bottles.

I'll use the Nattys Blue for a topping wax for now and then pick up some collinite 845 in a month or so for the winter waxing.

I have microfibers and all that so thats not an issue.

It seems like a lot of money but when you put it into the perspective of around 200 dollars to protect your $20k investment its really not......

CDot
09-13-2013, 04:12 PM
^^You're well on your way! :dblthumb2: