PDA

View Full Version : Buffing top of semi

crober53
09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Any ideas how to do this safely? With ladder I have a 4 sq ft area I can't reach. Doubt I can get my 200lb self up and on the top with causing damage. Ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

yellosuzku
09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm about 200 lbs as well and had not issues being on top of the sleeper of my buddies Peterbilt.

crober53
09-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Well with it being fiberglass and doesn't look like any support just worries me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

tuscarora dave
09-12-2013, 09:28 AM
The one and only time I polished out a semi, I had a helper "Leonard" who climbed all over the thing like a chimpanzee. Leo weighs about 120lbs. soaked and wet. If I get another semi I'll be calling him to help out with it.

I've had other hard to reach roofs though and I just reach out and "one hand it" with a rotary polisher to get the middle of those roofs.

yellosuzku
09-12-2013, 09:58 AM
It bends and flexes some but it went back to it's original state. Also not knowing what type of cab it is, I would suggest getting at it from the sides, from the rear and from the drivers cab. That surely has more support for weight. working from all four areas should be able to cover most of the roof...

Brody
11-01-2013, 07:05 PM
PM VegasTransplant. Far as I know, he works on semi's all the time. Maybe he has a trick or something.

hernandez.art13
11-01-2013, 07:09 PM
The one and only time I polished out a semi, I had a helper "Leonard" who climbed all over the thing like a chimpanzee. Leo weighs about 120lbs.

Sorry this just made me laugh. I too weigh that much give or take and used to be able to climb anything. Like Leo

:laughing:

JSou
11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Lol! I'm a small fry as well. I would love to handle a task like that. I think Tuscarora Dave uses something like a platform scaffold.

Bates Detailing
11-01-2013, 07:50 PM
The one and only time I polished out a semi, I had a helper "Leonard" who climbed all over the thing like a chimpanzee. Leo weighs about 120lbs. soaked and wet. If I get another semi I'll be calling him to help out with it.

I've had other hard to reach roofs though and I just reach out and "one hand it" with a rotary polisher to get the middle of those roofs.

Lol Dave - Thats how myself and Tyson did it :buffing: He was so acrobatic, and I was the fat guy loading up the pad with more polish from a safe place. Last Semi top we did, he held on one handed and polished one handed. We've both had to do it on boats (which is tough as hell) but the Semi top could only hold his weight "safely".

Id say if you are alone..... polish one hand, buff with an extension brush with MF on end.

Vegas Transplant
11-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Rained all day today.
Best friend's mom passed away last night.
Leaving for Farmville Va in the morning. Off forums for a while.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1884/scaffolding.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65495)

Hazcat
11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
MF floor mop should do the trick. Something like this: Microfiber Floor Mop at Menards (http://www.menards.com/main/housewares/cleaning-supplies/mops/microfiber-floor-mop/p-1786470-c-7118.htm)