PDA

View Full Version : Will BlackFire GEP Remove Polishing Oils?

KneeDragr
09-12-2013, 08:24 AM
After I compound, can I go strait to BlackFire GEP and then BFWD or should I do a IPA wipedown or quick dawn wash in between?

wdmaccord
09-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I'd go with an IPA wipedown. If you re-wash you are going to fill the cracks and crevices back up with water and that's no fun when that water starts creeping back out when you are polishing. Even if you have a blower, it will still save you a ton of time just doing the IPA wipedown.

cleanmycorolla
09-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Yes GEP will do that. It lays a great base for bfwd

swanicyouth
09-12-2013, 09:38 AM
I think your time would be better spent using a finishing polish after a compound, as GEP has no abrasives and won't refine the finish after using a compound. It does have a glaze in it, so it may hide any imperfections from the compounding step.

I would use BF's finishing polish and go right to BFWD. Using a paint cleaner after polishing is a waste of time IMO, as the act of polishing itself cleans the paint. If your worried about "oils" affecting the bonding of BFWD, I believe all the polishes are compatible with the LSPs in the BF line, so things like IPA wipedowns are not required if using BF polishes.

If you feel like you must do something, I would just wipedown each panel with Eraser before applying the sealant. If you think about it, what your trying to do is get the panel as clean as possible before applying a sealant, but GEP has a glaze in it, so its definitely leaving something behind between the paint and the sealant.

My point isn't that GEP is bad, my point is that "sealant bonding" isn't as much of an issue as its made out to be. I've applied BFWD over acrylic glazes and found no difference in the longevity of the sealant. I can't imagine polish oils from a BF polish would cause an issue.

KneeDragr
09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
GEP = Gloss Enhancing Polish, says its a finishing polish.