PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Damaged Interior Panels

WesM82
09-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi. So I was cleaning my interior glass yesterday using newspaper and Invisible Glass and after I finished I noticed dark ink-like lines on both the dash and door panels. I attempted to remove it with a clean cloth and then with interior detailer and had little luck. How can this even happen?

Thanks in advance!

Flash Gordon
09-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Hi. So I was cleaning my interior glass yesterday using newspaper and Invisible Glass and after I finished I noticed dark ink-like lines on both the dash and door panels. I attempted to remove it with a clean cloth and then with interior detailer and had little luck. How can this even happen?

Thanks in advance!

A decade or two back they started using ink that transfers. What you have is ink tranfer. Try wiping using a mostly wringed-out soapy wash mit followed with a dry towel and let me know what happens

WesM82
09-14-2013, 01:45 AM
A decade or two back they started using ink that transfers. What you have is ink tranfer. Try wiping using a mostly wringed-out soapy wash mit followed with a dry towel and let me know what happens

No luck on the soapy wash mit so I went ahead and try every method I could think of starting with the least likely to damage. After even the magic eraser failed, I tried using 0000 steel wool using very light pressure but all that did was 'smudge' the individual marks making them appear worse than they were. Being as picky and ocd as I am I'll probably be looking for a replacement dash pad at the u pull it yard. This really sucks and I couldn't find anyone that had heard of this happening before. From now on microfiber will be my wiping tool of choice.

jamesboyy
09-14-2013, 02:03 AM
if you have not already tried then try alcohol,hairspary,steam,goo-gone or stright apc and you wont have to replace panels you could repair the section with a repair touch up kit

Flash Gordon
09-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Try Lacquer Thinner

Detailing by M
09-14-2013, 11:36 AM
How did this happen?
You used a newspaper.
get some MFS already, step up your game.
Do you see pro's using newspaper?

FUNX650
09-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Do you see pro's using newspaper?

^^^YES!!^^^

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2704onmyside2.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/21963corvetteafterdacp1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2600_finishedshottapedoff1.jpg

:D

Bob

Detailing by M
09-14-2013, 11:51 AM
.... ^ yea, that's the same.

FUNX650
09-14-2013, 11:54 AM
.... ^ yea, that's the same.
The same as what?

Newsprint on your hands/clothes is still transferrable-newsprint...Ask any Pro!

Bob

HateSwirls
09-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Go down to the Dollar Tree and buy a bottle of Totally Awesome.
Add 4oz to a spray bottle then add water.
Spray it on a MF towel and gently work it in, it will remove the ink.
It's an Awesome product, it will remove just about anything you want removed, then follow up with a towel using only water to rinse it off well.

That's in, GONE?
All for $1.00:)