PDA

View Full Version : Could DA vibrations be bad for your paint?

Dorian
09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi All,

I tried searching on this topic but did not find anything. I was wondering if the vibrations from DAs ever damage the paint on your car? I am thinking more like in the middle of large panels (center of hood or roof) where the metal flexes more. I get that paint is supposed to be flexible but was curious if people thought it could happen.

tuscarora dave
09-11-2013, 02:26 PM
That's an interesting question that I have no way to answer other than to say that I've not heard of it happening yet.

I too am a great thinker/overthinker, as such i'm inclined to think that on untreated, dried up, dead single stage paints that can be in a pretty fragile and brittle state, it could be possible....On newer more healthy paint, I do doubt that any harm could occur from polisher vibrations.

Logan Powers
09-11-2013, 03:09 PM
The scariest part for me is doing the fuel door. I feel like its just gonna snap off one of these days.

swanicyouth
09-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I know what you mean. That weak spot in the middle of the hood on a Japanese car. The spot where you could push down and it would easily buckle. Sometimes the DA will make some strange vibrations there.

The good news is it doesn't seem to pan out. I've had that feeling many times, but never had an issue. Maybe the polisher is vibrating at the same frequency as the hood and they cancel each other out. Or maybe, the vibration is taken up by the foam pad?

Gen9Rolla
09-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Certainly an interesting question, but I feel that if the cars are built to withstand years of abuse from the weather, washings, and all the other things that wear down paint over the years, that a few minutes of vibrations won't do any harm to it.

freddie46
09-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I use a GG ROP and trust it completely. Never put a swirl in a customer's car. Use good technique, good pads and product.