PDA

View Full Version : Auto detailing distributor going out of business questions...

WHITEONWHITE
09-11-2013, 10:38 AM
hello
i am from pittsburgh, pa area and i used to detail for a few new car dealerships. now i only do it in the evenings for a junkyard.
however recently i found a "PRO" (brandname) auto detailing distributor who is going out of business. and i had a few questions......
1. the other 2 brands of detailing products are malco and garrys car care poducts....are those brands any good??
2. the distributor has multiple 5 gallon buckets of cosmoline remover for sale for cheap. can this be used as solvent for tar removal? what other uses can it be used for?
3. distributor also has 2 or 3 10-15 gallon containers of powdered pressure washer compound. is this good for anything else?
4. also has a product called "new car prep" in gallon buckets for cheap. i dont even know what that is.

any help, advice, or smart comments are appreciated

Evan.J
09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Ive never heard of any of those.

WHITEONWHITE
09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
i have used pro before. their products work good but we would never buy them at the dealer becuase they cost so much. i have heard of malco oil additives but this is entire cases of gallons of malco and garrys wax. cases of compounds, cases or liquid wax, paste wax, dupont teflon wax, polymer sealer, glaze, glaze 2, concentrated cleaner, finish restorer.
im just not sure bout this cosmoline remover and the "new car prep". id like to know what else i can use it on or if anyone is familair with it

SlowWRX
09-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I have never heard of them either
Prima Cosmonot Cosmoline Remover, Prima cosmoline cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-cosmonot.html)
here is a Cosmoline product so you can see what can be used for

Mike Phillips
09-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Just to note... no need to post a thread twice.

I found this same thread in another forum group. Just a heads up for any forum you post to...

I'll move it to the Moderator's forum since it's a duplicate.

:)

WHITEONWHITE
09-11-2013, 11:25 AM
I have never heard of them either
Prima Cosmonot Cosmoline Remover, Prima cosmoline cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-cosmonot.html)
here is a Cosmoline product so you can see what can be used for

ya that is similair to the only other cosmoline remover i saw. they compared it to paint thinner and other solvents. i think i would be smart to buy the rest of it for as cheap as it is

WHITEONWHITE
09-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Just to note... no need to post a thread twice.

I found this same thread in another forum group. Just a heads up for any forum you post to...

I'll move it to the Moderator's forum since it's a duplicate.

sorry mike i was just hoping to get some different answers. but i see the problem it creates. sorry

FUNX650
09-11-2013, 11:55 AM
To reference what this distributor's PRO products are all about:
Go to prowax's web-site.
BAF... is the parent "chemical company" that owns/distributes the PRO-brand.
They have a facility, nearby my area of the Country, in Florence, Kentucky.

Malco is an Ohio based company.
Many shops in my area have used their products for years.
So did I at one time. I'm about out of everything now.

Once you have visited their web-sites; and:
If the "Price Is Right"...
You may decide that some of these products are well worth a shot!

Bob

Dr_Pain
09-11-2013, 11:55 AM
The first question I would have is: " How old are the products?"

It is nice to have a LOT of cheap good/decent products but if they have exceeded their shelf life, then you may be throwing good money at a bad situation.

And the second question would be: "If you are doing this part time, how fast do you think you will be going through all those products?" (please refer to my previous shelf life question)

WHITEONWHITE
09-11-2013, 12:04 PM
To reference what this distributor's PRO products are all about:
Go to prowax's web-site.
BAF... is the parent "chemical company" that owns/distributes the PRO-brand.
They have a facility, nearby my area of the Country, in Florence, Kentucky.

Malco is an Ohio based company.
Many shops in my area have used their products for years.
So did I at one time. I'm about out of everything now.

Once you have visited their web-sites; and:
If the "Price Is Right"...
You may decide that some of these products are well worth a shot!

Bob

Yes i am familiar with pro. i know their products are good. malco i never used before but they look like good products. and garrys products there is the least of. he also has cases of a brand called "kings ransom" with gold labels (wax and compounds).

WHITEONWHITE
09-11-2013, 12:32 PM
The first question I would have is: " How old are the products?"

It is nice to have a LOT of cheap good/decent products but if they have exceeded their shelf life, then you may be throwing good money at a bad situation.

And the second question would be: "If you are doing this part time, how fast do you think you will be going through all those products?" (please refer to my previous shelf life question)

yes i have thought about this. many of the products are from the late 80's and 90's. i opened up every single case i bought and checked the gallons out. almost all of the items in plastic containers are fine. what i noticed that did go bad are color matched spray paint cans. some of those no longer spray. also he has a whole pallet of trunk spray that no longer sprays. that type of stuff went bad. i bought 72 small cans of PRO creme wax and out of 75 cans there was 4 bad cans......that was where the top can either wasnt sealed 100% or air got in and dryed the product up. everything else seemed fine. i have been using the products over the past 2 months on my detail jobs and they are working as expected. some of the solvents he has looked to have evaporated a small amount. i didnt buy many of those.
it will probably take a long time to use them all up.

how long is the "shelf life" on wax? i have heard that wheel acid loses its strength over time. i thought about that when buying these but the prices are very cheap by the gallon

FUNX650
09-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes i am familiar with pro. i know their products are good.

malco i never used before but they look like good products.

^^^Yes^^^

and garrys products there is the least of. he also has cases of a brand called "kings ransom" with gold labels (wax and compounds).

any help, advice, or smart comments are appreciated
OK...I'm going to run with what I'm alleging to be my: "smart comments".

If the price of all these products are negotiated to your liking:
-Can a person have too many "detailing products"?
-Do "brand-names" sway your purchasing-decisions of detailing products?
-Detailing products, as a norm, are known to be made from/contain chemicals.
-There are only so many chemical-manufacturers around the World.
-There are only so many chemicals that can be put in a given container.
-Good Luck on the "apparel sales".

Bob