PDA

View Full Version : paint repair ?

mixxer
06-14-2007, 08:22 PM
im repairing some paint chips on the cobra and it says to compound the base coat to blend the repaired area and even out the surface. what pad should i use with the compound? i was thinking orange. then apply the clear and compound again ,then i was going to use optimum or xmt2 with orange pad then 360 with white. any comments would be helpfull. thanks in advance .

Gary Sword
06-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Toto has done a lot of paint chip repairs. I would get his advice.

ltoman
06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I have one tiny chip so i am interested to hear too. I know Orngz said to apply the paint with a syringe, right into the spot, but it seems only Griot's has them.

richy
06-14-2007, 09:45 PM
What I do is apply the base coat 1st and let it dry for a few hours. Then I apply clear over that and let it dry. I build up clear until it's above the surface of the panel and then wetsand it flat. Compund, polish and it becomes invisible, except on metallic finishes due to the specs in the touch up. Flat colours come out great!!

mixxer
06-15-2007, 06:45 AM
ok i did a couple of base coats to build it up.then ill do a couple of clear to help build also.so i need to know what grit sand paper to wet sand with? and what pad to compound with? thanks for all your help so far guys .the base coats are done.