PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyist Wheel Coating - DP vs. OptiCoat?

micvog
09-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Before winter sets in I want to get the alloy wheels, including the wheel barrels, coated on the wife's minivan (a 2012 Chrysler T&C).

I am torn between the new DP Wheel Coating and OptiCoat 2.0. The DP product seems more user-friendly but only lasts about a year, whereas the OptiCoat 2.0 is "permanent".

I would prefer to do this only once hence I am leaning towards OC. But, in addition to not being as user-friendly, there are posts indicating that OC2.0 isn't as "permanent" as OG.

Any advice?

My plan is to remove and thoroughly wash the wheel with both Mothers Wheel & Tire Cleaner and some soap and water, clay, compound with Meg's UC (using a Mothers PowerCone) and then use either the Optimum or DP polish/coating combo on each wheel.

Thanks.

erichaley
09-10-2013, 09:15 AM
I think both are fine products.

That being said, I prefer to use OC on wheels, primarily because I don't want to have to reapply it down the road. Removing the wheels is a pain.

As far as OC being "permanent", anything that can be removed by polishing isn't permanent in my opinion...

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2013, 09:16 AM
One way to get the OC 2.0 to be more like OG is to put multiple layers on. I think I read Dr. G recommending 1 hour between coats. The OC 2.0 is really pretty user-friendly, it's just more of a pain to dispense out of the syringe than the spray bottle that DP comes in. I have heard of people squirting the syringe into a spray bottle, the thing with that is you need to put it back in the syringe when you are done or the leftover will cure with the air in the bottle.

PA DETAILER
09-10-2013, 10:01 AM
i have used the DP and it was easy and goof proof. i have been washing the wheels with just soap and water for weeks now. looks like the day i applied it.

micvog
09-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards OC and using that to also get the paint ready for Winter. I will post before/after pics of the wheels in a few weeks.

swanicyouth
09-12-2013, 09:14 AM
OC is the way to go. Due to the angles and silver color of most wheels, its hard to even see any high spots if they are there. I can tell you OC has held up over 1.5 years on my wheels (8 wheels) well. This is a job you only want to do once, and do it right. Pull the wheels, clean the barrels, clay them, posh them (if needed), clean with IPA, and OC.

Don't worry about OC being user friendly, especially if your removing the wheels and cleaning the whole wheel. To apply OC to intricate stuff like wheels, I get a new grout sponge and just cut a small piece off the size I need and use that as the applicator. Its really quite easy to apply the OC. The hard work is pulling and cleaning up the wheels.

Here are my wheels about a year or so after OC:

http://youtu.be/fRyy1WcuEjg

http://youtu.be/syYiAydYNwk

micvog
09-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Was getting ready to place my order and I can't find the Carpro "foam block" applicators. Does AG sell them?

I have now decided to not only OC the wheels, but the van as well. Any feedback on the following would be appreciated:

- Prep with clay w/diluted ONR, polish with Optimum Finish using Meg's black pad and a 15% IPA wipedown (the van has a coat of Meg's UP from May that is still beading strong)
- OC 2.0 applied using the foam block and suede clothes from CarPro

Also going to pick up some Optimum PowerClean to remove some blue jean dye transfer to the leather seats.

Thanks.