PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding spray paint dust

smbstyle
09-09-2013, 10:54 PM
So I was spray painting some tail light lenses red tonight, about 15 feet from my 2013 BRZ in the garage, the garage door was open, looked like most of the fumes and "dust" were going out the garage, and even had a fan on to keep the dust out of the garage.

When I go out to start on the third coat, I noticed a light reddish dust on the floor of the garage, and then looked over and under the fluorescent light over my car, I could see a very very light reddish tint dust.

The red dust from the spray paint on the floor came right up by just hosing it down, and washed out. I then took the BRZ outside and did a full wash, and with just the initial rinse I saw the red dust come off, but washed it completely anyways just to be safe.

Took it back in the garage under the fluorescent and halogen, and saw no trace of the red dust whatsoever. Used a QD on the paint, came off clear. I also clayed a small area of the car and the clay was clean; no red at all.

The car was waxed and clayed about a week ago.

From what I saw, the spray paint dust looked harmless, and rinsed right off both the car and garage floor surface, but I would like your opinions. Do you think anything else needs to be done to make sure there are no contaminants left?

af90
09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I would give it a good check over and just double check. You don't want to leave any on there for an appreciable amount of time. If you wanted to be double safe you could clay it again, but you're call.

RedXray
09-09-2013, 11:20 PM
The paint dust is called over spray. If you missed some, it will show under different lighting then you can remove it. 90% will be on the horizontal panels. The fresh wax kept the over spray from embedding. Lesson learned :eek:

smbstyle
09-10-2013, 06:00 AM
I would give it a good check over and just double check. You don't want to leave any on there for an appreciable amount of time. If you wanted to be double safe you could clay it again, but you're call.

Yeah, I'll probably just go over the whole car again - cant hurt to be safe.

smbstyle
09-10-2013, 06:00 AM
The paint dust is called over spray. If you missed some, it will show under different lighting then you can remove it. 90% will be on the horizontal panels. The fresh wax kept the over spray from embedding. Lesson learned :eek:

Haha yes, definitely learned a lesson here! Thank god I waxed it last week....