PDA

View Full Version : OptiCoat vrs OptiLense

swanicyouth
09-09-2013, 02:57 PM
What's the difference of these two? I'm guessing OL has more UV inhibitors, but I also remember that OC can be applied to almost to all exterior surfaces like head and tail lights.

I also remember people coating headlight lenses with OC before OL was available.

What's the diff? I wanted to coat all my lenses, but can't see buying OL when I have OC, unless there is a good reason ???

Evan.J
09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes with the OL it has the UV protection in it that seals the headlights if your doing wet wet sanding to remove the oxidation and the factory UV coating.

If your headlights don't have any oxidation or don't need to be sanded then the oc will be find. OL is more for the restoration aspect.

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2013, 05:04 PM
As Evan said, if your headlights aren't degraded, then Opti-Coat is probably fine for everything.

Radarryan
09-09-2013, 06:08 PM
I coated my headlights with Opti-Coat because a handful on months ago when I worked on one of my cars Opti-Lens had not been released yet. That being said, as you stated, they say to put Opti-Coat on all surfaces, including headlights - so that's what I did.

I would guess that it is the same "base" as Opti-Coat with more UV inhibitors and manufactured to bond to plastic better and then, poof! you have Optimum Opti-Lens. A year ago if you asked Optimum which product to use on your headlights, they would say Opti-Coat. Now they say Opti-Lens because it is specifically made for the purpose, but it doesn't mean that Opti-Coat won't do exactly what we ask of it, and then some.

Sorry, I guess it is a long-winded way to say, go with what you have (the Opti-Coat) and don't look back.

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I would guess that it is the same "base" as Opti-Coat with more UV inhibitors and manufactured to bond to plastic better and then, poof! you have Optimum Opti-Lens.

No need to guess, it is public knowledge that Opti-Lens is based on Opti-Coat but with more UV absorbers.