PDA

View Full Version : Trim Restoration Techniques for Durability

mdeepauto
09-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a Dodge Sprinter with a ton of plastic trim that needs a good restoration. The grey trim is faded/ discolored for the most part. I've used 303 for short term purposes to make it look acceptable but I am now looking to make it last.

My plan is to clean (obviously), restore with a product such as Black Wow, and seal with a product like GTechniq EXO or even C4 to lock in the durability.

My question is basically will this work and is is efficient? I've heard great things about GTechniq C4 Trim restorer but I've heard the durability isn't as long as it should be. So, that is where my idea of putting more of a restoration product like Black Wow on first then seal in the effects with some type of durable coating.

What are your thoughts about this and have you tried anything similar?

Thanks!

Evan.J
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Here you go

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59327-how-restore-exterior-black-plastic-trim.html

MarkD51
10-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I've had quite bad luck with C4 Trim Restorer. This topic was debated, and hashed some months back

The product looked good for that day (somewhat), then everything turned milky white less than two weeks later.

So bad, that those parts were permanently ruined, and I had to replace them, from ebay.

I actually should've been issued a refund ($64 for this flawed product) from GTehniq, because I feel that product was flawed and was ill mixed-fabricated from them, no. I pretty much got a lot of babble, naysayers coming in defending the product, telling me I misused it. I don't think so, I've been detailing vehicles for 40 years!

I turned around, and purchased Carpro CQuartz DLX. This product I've been very happy with, so much, that I again purchased it from AG.

I've got about 3/4 of a bottle left of the CQuartz DLX. It's now time to go under hood, and every other place I can apply this fine product, before it turns to a rock.

swanicyouth
10-22-2013, 08:21 PM
I would recommend DLux, but the plastic has to be clean. Black Wow is like motor oil, it doesn't last. If the plastic is extremely faded use Solution Finish, then DLux. It's just what I've found that lasts.