PDA

View Full Version : New guy with questions!

One2nine
09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm not so much "new" to detailing but I'm new to the depth that I'm looking to go. My previous details were a basic wash, clay, wax/sealant. I recently just picked up a DA buffer and have been trying to school myself a little on making it the most beneficial. So let me start with the products I'm looking to use and well go from there. I've previously been using meguires nxt 2.0 with great results. So I just picked up some Wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover and glaze as well as some blackfire crystal seal, and car pro eraser. Im looking for a wax/sealant stripper as Ive read/had mixed results with the dawn wash. Any tips on a good wash to start fresh? So correct me if I'm wrong but here's the process I'm looking to do. Thorough washing followed by a claying, wipe down with car eraser, apply swirl remover then glaze. Now here's where I'm looking to you guys. If I apply the blackfire crystal seal can I wax/seal over that? I've had great results with rejex sealant followed by a carnuba or synthetic wax. I've been eyeing up the blackfire monton wax as well any input?

So what are some recommendations on a good wash/stripper? Am I ok to wax/seal over blackfire crystal? Any other tips would be great. Also, I have billet wheels on the truck. Haven't found a polish I liked. Just picked up some wheel wax for them. Any testimonials?

On a side note, my truck got keyed a few months back and will be going in for paint shortly. Should I stay away from the DA/waxing on the fresh paint for a while or am I ok?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/97BC7C24-D123-4B9B-8E24-4FDAA0031187-2148-000000E05094356B_zpsfe28c7e4.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/103.jpg

I try to keep them fairly clean but a DA is a major time saver, especially for the truck.

Evan.J
09-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm not so much "new" to detailing but I'm new to the depth that I'm looking to go. My previous details were a basic wash, clay, wax/sealant. I recently just picked up a DA buffer and have been trying to school myself a little on making it the most beneficial. So let me start with the products I'm looking to use and well go from there. I've previously been using meguires nxt 2.0 with great results. So I just picked up some Wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover and glaze as well as some blackfire crystal seal, and car pro eraser. Im looking for a wax/sealant stripper as Ive read/had mixed results with the dawn wash. Any tips on a good wash to start fresh? So correct me if I'm wrong but here's the process I'm looking to do. Thorough washing followed by a claying, wipe down with car eraser, apply swirl remover then glaze. Now here's where I'm looking to you guys. If I apply the blackfire crystal seal can I wax/seal over that? I've had great results with rejex sealant followed by a carnuba or synthetic wax. I've been eyeing up the blackfire monton wax as well any input?

So what are some recommendations on a good wash/stripper? Am I ok to wax/seal over blackfire crystal? Any other tips would be great. Also, I have billet wheels on the truck. Haven't found a polish I liked. Just picked up some wheel wax for them. Any testimonials?

On a side note, my truck got keyed a few months back and will be going in for paint shortly. Should I stay away from the DA/waxing on the fresh paint for a while or am I ok?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/97BC7C24-D123-4B9B-8E24-4FDAA0031187-2148-000000E05094356B_zpsfe28c7e4.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/103.jpg

I try to keep them fairly clean but a DA is a major time saver, especially for the truck.

First off Welcome to AGO!

I see your from PA (Plae gave it away lol) What part?

Onto your questions:

Any tips on a good wash to start fresh?
Chemical Guys Citrus wash and gloss always seems to be a good wash to start fresh.

Thorough washing followed by a claying, wipe down with car eraser, apply swirl remover then glaze.
I would wash, clay, then polish. No need for the eraser after claying. You will want to use that to remove any oils from the polish prior to you wax application.

If I apply the blackfire crystal seal can I wax/seal over that

Yes you can apply a wax over the spray sealant this process is called toping. Just be sure to allow the sealant to cure for at least 12 hours before topping with a wax

I've been eyeing up the blackfire monton wax as well any input
I have it and its a great wax. I like to top it with Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant.

One2nine
09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm in central pa. Winters are hell on the truck and I'm looking to get a few good waxes in here. Any recommendations for undercoating for the winter? I've previously done a cheap clear coat mixed with auto trans fluid sprayed underneath. Seems to work pretty well and keeps things fairly salt free.

BillE
09-10-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm in central pa. Winters are hell on the truck and I'm looking to get a few good waxes in here. Any recommendations for undercoating for the winter? I've previously done a cheap clear coat mixed with auto trans fluid sprayed underneath. Seems to work pretty well and keeps things fairly salt free.

First off...WELCOME!

Yesterday I read (quickly) about a product named, "Fluid Film." I know absolutely nothing about this, but at first glance it appears something I will investigate more.

I hear ya about the hellish winters!

Bill

vet
09-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Welcome! Nice rides!

ponypower5.0
09-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Welcome! Regarding the fresh paint, ask the shop that does the job how long you should wait before applying a wax or sealant. The paint may need time to outgas/cure and you don't want to disrupt the process. You can polish it with a sealant/wax-free polish until the paint fully cures.

One2nine
09-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Loving the forum already. Sadly some jerkoff keyed from my back cab to the headlight

Evan.J
09-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Loving the forum already. Sadly some jerkoff keyed from my back cab to the headlight

Sorry to hear that. Some people just have no respect for anything nice.

One2nine
09-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Sorry to hear that. Some people just have no respect for anything nice.

Yea it's pretty ugly. Ill get it repainted and have her ready for diesel nationals next year.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/null_zpsd5a57277.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/null_zpsf1ff3196.jpg

To add insult to injury the city I live in left a sign holder on the road cleaning up after construction. Needless to say I saw it at the last minute but it was too late with a lowered mustang. Caught the front bumper and cracked the paint pretty bad.