PDA

View Full Version : New Car, New Member, Supplies?

eroz
09-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi all! I'm still about 2 months off from having my new car delivered. It's a 2014 Subaru Outback in Carbide Grey. I never took care of my current car other than occasionally taking it through an automatic carwash. I don't want to do the same with the new one. So I've been reading up on how to better care for your car, wash/clay/polish/wax.

Originally I was going to buy the Meguiar's Ultimate Car Care Kit and the Porter CAble 7424XP, but then I found the AGO. So now I'm not really sure but I think I need the following:

Meguiar's Ultimate Wash
Meguiar's Ultimate Black
Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer
2 buckets w/grit guards
Meguiar’s Microfiber Wash Mitt
Meguiar’s Water Magnet Drying Towel
Meguiar’s Supreme Shine microfiber towel
couple of Meguiar’s Soft Foam applicator pads
Meguiar's G110v2
Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845

Is that overboard? Is there something I'm missing? Is there something that might be better suited for my car?

Since I'm getting the car so close to winter, is there something else I should be getting instead for the Chicago winters. I have a garage but it is not heated.

Evan.J
09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi all! I'm still about 2 months off from having my new car delivered. It's a 2014 Subaru Outback in Carbide Grey. I never took care of my current car other than occasionally taking it through an automatic carwash. I don't want to do the same with the new one. So I've been reading up on how to better care for your car, wash/clay/polish/wax.

Originally I was going to buy the Meguiar's Ultimate Car Care Kit and the Porter CAble 7424XP, but then I found the AGO. So now I'm not really sure but I think I need the following:
Meguiar's Ultimate Wash Look at optimum car wash or any Chemical guy soaps
Meguiar's Ultimate Black There are pleanty of waxes here to choice from I like Blackfire Midnight sun, Collinite 476 and 915 also DP Max wax is great too
Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer Look at Optimum No Rinse wash it can be used as a clay lube, riseless wash and a quick detailer.
2 buckets w/grit guards Good here
Meguiar’s Microfiber Wash Mitt Those are good or you can go with a microfiber chenille mitts
Meguiar’s Water Magnet Drying Towel Look at the guzzler or the guzzler HD as the water magnet isnt that great.
Meguiar’s Supreme Shine microfiber towel The supreme shine are very thin but ok I would look at the buy one get one or ay of the heavier weighted towel lik gold plsh the gray 530
couple of Meguiar’s Soft Foam applicator pads If you are geting a polisher go with the LC 5.5" pads either the Flat pads to save some buck or the hydrotechs
Meguiar's G110v2 Look at the Griots garage polisher its cheaper more powerful and has a lifetime warranty
Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit Just get yourself some mild clay. If you get Optimum no rinse then you have your lube already.
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze If you looking at a glaze Chemical Guys Blacklight is a good one
Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish I have never used this but I like M205 or Menzerna 2500 and/or 4000
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845 This is a great choice

Is that overboard? Is there something I'm missing? Is there something that might be better suited for my car?

Since I'm getting the car so close to winter, is there something else I should be getting instead for the Chicago winters. I have a garage but it is not heated.

All my answers are in red I hope that helps

Desertnate
09-09-2013, 02:42 PM
To me it seems you have a little overlap at the bottom of your product list. The Klasse AIO and SG are great selants, yet so is the Collinite. I'm not sure you'll need both, or if there would be any advantage to putting them together.

I've used the Klasse Combo (AIO first, then SG) and easily made it through six months of winter with the car still looking good and protected. Others here have reported similar results with the Collinite. You could probably keep the AIO and then choose between the SG and the Collinite.

MPBGT
09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
I would add duragloss aquawax to that list.

Alby
09-09-2013, 05:33 PM
EvanJ

Thanks for the "detailed" (no pun intended) answer. It helped me out also.

Alby

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
I never took care of my current car other than occasionally taking it through an automatic carwash. I don't want to do the same with the new one. So I've been reading up on how to better care for your car, wash/clay/polish/wax.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but maintaining a vehicle to an Autogeekian level is a lot of work. I sometimes suggest newbs think about this before they spend a lot of money on something they have never really been interested in before. I applaud your intentions, but sometimes that "new car euphoria" wears off quickly.

Since you are a Meguiar's fan, I would suggest this kit:

Meguiars G110v2 DA Microfiber Correction System Complete Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-correction-kit.html)

If your car arrives pristine, you can use the D301 and follow with Collinite 845. If you have the DISO (Dealer-Installed Swirl Option) you can start with the D300. The microfiber DA kit is easy to use and gives great results. Get some extra pads. It's best if you have a small air compressor to blow out the pads. You will of course need wash, clay, etc.