PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about winter in September- need input

GenesisCoupe
09-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Hello Everyone,

It is barely September and i am already thinking about winter in Chicago! :dunno:

I rinsed my car yesterday with water at the local coin wash and noticed that the water is still sheeting and beading well after 4 months.

My question is, do i strip the wax, clay the car, then seal and wax for winter, or strip the wax, apply another coat of sealant, then wax?

Any other advice? :xyxthumbs:

The current set up on the car is BFWD and DoDo Juice Orange Crush.

Thanks!

Chris's FX4
09-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I would strip the wax, clay, IPA wipedown, and then reapply your sealant/wax. Claying should be determine by using the baggie test though. When was the last time you clayed?

I did my winter prep back at the end of August, so you're not the only one thinking about winter.

Evan.J
09-09-2013, 08:21 AM
You can add something like Hydro2 to what you currently have. Its a great addition to protection and very easy to use.

You can check your paint for any contamination if you have any you can clay it then go ahead an apply your sealant.

GenesisCoupe
09-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys, the car was clayed back in March, it's a 2013, and spends half of its life in a climate controlled garage and half outside.

CDot
09-09-2013, 08:40 AM
I would strip the wax, clay, IPA wipedown, and then reapply your sealant/wax. Claying should be determine by using the baggie test though. When was the last time you clayed?

:iagree: Strip and reapply sealant/wax--clay before if needed.

FUNX650
09-09-2013, 09:47 AM
What is the condition of the paint...
Any "blemishes", that need removal, before re-sealing for the winter months?

:)

Bob

GenesisCoupe
09-09-2013, 10:35 AM
What is the condition of the paint...
Any "blemishes", that need removal, before re-sealing for the winter months?

:)

Bob

I removed all swirls, minor blemishes back in March, some spots have hair thin-like scratches (due to periodicl waterless washing) that a glaze would easily fill, however i'd like to do a complete polish Spring of 2014 to remove those.

StoneRaizer
09-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I'd take a Good, Better, Best approach to winter paint protection.

Good - Strip LSP, clay if needed, reapply Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Better - Strip LSP, clay if needed, reapply Blackfire Wet Diamond, top with Collinite 845.

Best - Strip LSP, clay if needed, apply a coating like OptiCoat 2.0.

Desertnate
09-09-2013, 10:48 AM
I do a total clay, strip and re-seal in the fall to get ready for the winter. However, I try to wait until October if at all possible. Most of the products I use will hold well for six months. Hitting the car in October will get me to April when it *should* be warm enough to do it all over again for Spring/Summer.

My big debate right now is to do any correction or just wait until Spring. Between snow brushes and general winter abuse, I'm tempted to just wait.

StoneRaizer
09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
@ Desertnate - I'd wait. Snow brushes, ice pellets, salt, sand, gravel, kitty litter, all can do damage to your car's finish. Protect what you have, then polish in the spring.

GenesisCoupe
09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the reply everyone,

I only rinse my car with high pressure water at the coin wash when it's warm enough not to freeze, other than that, my car is never washed in the winter with any products. Winter i hibernate from detailing :)