PDA

View Full Version : SOS pads - extreme chrome rim cleaning

Dberube
09-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

I just received my "new to me" authentic set of used 18" staggered Chrome Saleen rims for my SN95 Cobra this past week, shipped from a private seller. I purchased these as the only new option for this rim style were knock-offs, and I was not interested in knock-offs.

I was shocked to say the least at how dirty they were - figured the seller would have cleaned them up a bit, but there was zero effort on their part!

I truly wish I had taken pictures, however, I immediately jumped to clean them to assess any damage to the chrome plating. This was a fun task as I tried progressively more aggressive products in an attempt to clean them: 1) ph balanced car wash, 2) Zep apc 10:1, 3) Trix, and finally 4) OPT Power clean. After these steps, and 1.5 hours, only 2 of the 4 were clean to my satisfaction.

Since I've moved away from acid based cleaners, I was at a loss on how to clean the two remaining rims - both barrels remained extremely caked, as if I had not even tried to clean them. What I was able to find was a box of SOS pads, which I've used successfully in the past to clean chrome, so I figured I would try them especially since I was going to be polishing the rims immediately afterwards.

Needless to say this was exactly what the doctor ordered - the right combination of grit and cleaning power - all 4 rims now look brand new, and I haven't even had the opportunity to polish them yet.

I'm not sure whether I crossed a line with some by using a household cleaning product to get the job done, or whether this is old news, however I just wanted to share this with you, in case you find yourself in a similar situation.

Next up, OPT Metal Polish and Opti-Seal ( as my DP Rim Coating has yet to arrive). I'll post pictures when done.

jamesboyy
09-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Very happy to hear your sucess most of us may think the use of sos pads or any abrasive is way to harsh/ take the shine away but snice you will be polishing them anyway geat job on your cleaning

HateSwirls
09-09-2013, 05:53 AM
SOS pads work well when trying to clean up rusty or very dirty wheels.
Glad it worked out for you:)
Last time I tried did was on a set of American Racing wheels many years ago, just keep them sealed now.