PDA

View Full Version : Compound and then Wax (no polish)?

Pages : [1] 2

MJT
09-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if when having compounded a car (m105) if I can then jump to the waxing stage instead of the in between polishing stage. I know the polish gives a deep gloss look but to be honest the wax seems to do that as well. Am I right in saying that? Obviously the wax is primarily there to protect the car but it always seems to give the car that added gloss look. So why polish in between the compounding stage and the wax stage?

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
09-08-2013, 10:53 PM
It depends on the car, the color, what you are looking for. M105 finishes pretty well, so on hard paint, lighter colors, etc. you may do fine going to wax without an intermediate step.

MJT
09-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Would you suggest on a black car then that the polishing stage becomes more important?

Jomax
09-08-2013, 11:35 PM
In my experience, you must use a polish on black paint. Very, very, rarely will a compound finish black to perfection.

Wheelzntoys
09-08-2013, 11:37 PM
This shows you pics after M105, micromarring. Requires a polishing to finish.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/38169-deep-gloss-auto-salon-test-optimum-compound-ii-vs-m105.html

StuDLei
09-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Also, you might be really surprised at how hazy your paint actually looks after 105 if you're viewing it in the right light. A Brinkmann might really shed some light on the situation.. pardon the pun.

cmoneyinc
09-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Black is the least forgiving color, but it would also depend on the hardness/softness of the paint on the car you are working on.

The simplest answer is just to check your work after the compounding stage with proper lighting. If there is any micro-marring or hazing from the compounding stage, then use a finishing polish before your wax/sealant. If you check your work after compounding stage and there doesn't seem to be any compounding related marring and you are happy with the level of clarity, then you can move directly to the wax or sealant.

MJT
09-09-2013, 12:48 AM
OK, so am I right in thinking the main reason for following m105 with polish is to actually take out swirls etc left by the m105?

davey g-force
09-09-2013, 01:27 AM
OK, so am I right in thinking the main reason for following m105 with polish is to actually take out swirls etc left by the m105?

Yep, that's right.

After compounding, I just do a test spot with a finishing polish. I look at the two areas (compound only and compound + polish) side by side. If I can see a difference, I'll go ahead and polish the entire car. If not, I'll go straight to LSP.

HateSwirls
09-09-2013, 05:45 AM
You'll be much happier if you follow up with the 205, it really finishes off nicely.
I have a black car and can see a big difference after using the 205.
If the car isn't too bad and you can get away using a white pad and 105 then maybe you'd get it to finish nicely.

runrun411
09-09-2013, 07:20 AM
What about white? Will it make a difference?

Desertnate
09-09-2013, 08:43 AM
I haven't used the 105/205 combo, but have used the UC/UP combo which some say are similar.

When I finished using UC the finish was smooth and looked pretty good. However, hitting it with UP made all the difference. The shine and feel was much better afterwords. I'm sure that's because the UP was finishing off the corretion done by the UC.

MJT
09-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Can apply the wax with a finishing pad after m105 have the same affects at all as polishing up?

wdmaccord
09-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I have found that you can go straight to LSP after using Megs UC. I have done it on a couple black Hondas. I did polish a couple areas for comparison and wasn't seeing enough benefit from the polish compared to just the UC, so I just went straight to Coll 845. If you are getting paid, I guess it matters too what the customer is paying for. Here's a shot of one I did this weekend (I told the guy I would shoot for about 75% correction since he brought it to me full of brush marks from the self-serve car wash - SMH). Took 5 hours to correct to this level using 24x24 sections and 6 section passes each (LC CCS Orange Pads 6" and 4"):

wdmaccord
09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Can apply the wax with a finishing pad after m105 have the same affects at all as polishing up?

No, neither the wax nor finishing pad have any cut that would polish out any micromarring from m105.