PDA

View Full Version : Polishing in the sun

MJT
09-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi guys, I always hear that polishing, waxing should be done in the shade. Why is that? I am off to detail a car this week at someone's house, but they don't have a garage for me to work in. Just wondering if it is sunny out what the impact of working in this might be? It's a blue coloured car.

Thanks.

af90
09-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Due to the working time and panel heat. As the panel heats up the working time decreases causing excess dusting and overall just a pain to remove as well. Look up Poorboy's polishes, designed to work in the sun. Can you get a cover or anything to at least get some shade?

Setec Astronomy
09-08-2013, 10:51 PM
It's mostly about the products drying out while you're using them. If the polish dries out it may gum up on you or you may "dry buff" which could cause marring. Also your wax may dry too fast not allowing you to spread it thin enough for easy removal.

Cosmin
09-08-2013, 10:57 PM
most jobs in the sun when comes to polish will take you double time if not more....
pull the car in a shade area , in tx you can`t polish a car in the sun is in a 100 all day. in north may work .

canopy may be an option. also start early... and move fast

MJT
09-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Ok thanks guys! I am hoping there will be a tree or something i can work by or under. Perhaps in worst case scenario with no shade, could i cover a panel up with a towel or something and work my way around the car like that? Obviously during the actual polishing the panel would be exposed to the sun but it would not have built up temperature beforehand..