PDA

View Full Version : Help with Megs Ultimate Polish

birdog
09-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I attempted some minor corrections on new factory paint (light scratches from washing and wiping dry). I washed and clayed the tailgate and since the scratches were light I figured I would use Megs UP and skip the UC. I'm using a PC DA with LC CCS White 5.5" pad. Did a 2'x2' test area and the scratches were gone and things looked good. Finished the rest of the tailgate wiped it down good and stepped back to admire my work and the closer I looked and compared it to the rest of the truck the more I didn't like what I saw. The polished tailgate wasn't as glossy shiny as the rest of the truck. My question is could the UP be to abrasive or the white pad or the combination of both. I have a black/grey finishing pad in the same LC CCS 5.5". Should I try this combo or should I use a different polish. What would you recommend????

Feed back please :buffing:

mwoolfso
09-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Try a 2-step process - which is basically where you seem to be headed already. :-)

1. What you did... UP/White
2. Then UP/Black or UP/Grey

BillE
09-09-2013, 06:16 AM
:iagree:

You might want just try the black pad by itself. It doesn't feel like to you hands, but the white pad is more aggressive than one thinks.

Think least aggressive method first.

Bill

birdog
09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Try a 2-step process - which is basically where you seem to be headed already. :-)

1. What you did... UP/White
2. Then UP/Black or UP/Grey

:iagree:

You might want just try the black pad by itself. It doesn't feel like to you hands, but the white pad is more aggressive than one thinks.

Think least aggressive method first.

Bill

So the UP should finish to a high gloss if I step up to the Black Pad?

birdog
09-09-2013, 04:39 PM
My understanding is, this is a SMAT product and not a DAT product, correct? Would a flat pad work the polish better than the CCS pad? I decided on the CCS pads from an article I read here on a thread. It stated that due to the closed cell dimples that they would hold product and dispense it a little at a time and since the product isn't a DAT it gives you more working time. (paraphrasing of course). If this would have been a DAT product they didn't recommend the CCS pads because as the abrasives deminished the closed cells would introduce new abrasives into the diminished mix. Or something to this effect. Does any of this make since? I really feel stupid when reading this back.

mwoolfso
09-09-2013, 10:21 PM
So the UP should finish to a high gloss if I step up to the Black Pad?

It will be a better gloss than the white pad in theory. Whether you can see/feel it is another story.

My understanding is, this is a SMAT product and not a DAT product, correct? Would a flat pad work the polish better than the CCS pad? I decided on the CCS pads from an article I read here on a thread. It stated that due to the closed cell dimples that they would hold product and dispense it a little at a time and since the product isn't a DAT it gives you more working time. (paraphrasing of course). If this would have been a DAT product they didn't recommend the CCS pads because as the abrasives deminished the closed cells would introduce new abrasives into the diminished mix. Or something to this effect. Does any of this make since? I really feel stupid when reading this back.

For SMAT, either CCS or flat will work just fine. I am using MUC with a CCS and flat and both are doing fine on a Cadillac CTS I am preping. "More working time" also means "more time required to buff" in my mind; so you may need more passes, or more pressure, etc... That's been my experience.

birdog
09-10-2013, 08:33 AM
It will be a better gloss than the white pad in theory. Whether you can see/feel it is another story.

For SMAT, either CCS or flat will work just fine. I am using MUC with a CCS and flat and both are doing fine on a Cadillac CTS I am preping. "More working time" also means "more time required to buff" in my mind; so you may need more passes, or more pressure, etc... That's been my experience.

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to try the CCS Black pad with the UP this weekend. If it's not as glossy as the rest of the truck what product and pad combo would you recommend. I'm using a PC DA with CCS Pads that I have on hand, but I can order different pads if necessary. Any input would be appreciated.

Feed back please