PDA

View Full Version : Dawn wash

Pages : [1] 2

Bicycle
09-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I see the discussion on washing with Dawn to strip old wax preparing for polish and sealant. Some say yes and some disagree. How could doing this once or twice a year be that detrimental to the paint??
Thanks

af90
09-08-2013, 03:23 PM
As long as you coat it afterwards with something I don't see any issue.

jamesboyy
09-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I personally don't see a problem with using dawn because if its safe enough to wash oils spills off wild animals then its safe enough for pernicious paint works also it gets the paintwork ready for clay etc

take a look at this http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/17020-dawn-dish-soap-washing-good-bad.html

custmsprty
09-08-2013, 03:29 PM
I prefer Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss to do the wax stripping process.

ski2
09-08-2013, 03:50 PM
PiPUK a member here has demonstrated that a Dawn wash does not remove existing LSPs--if you do a search you can find the posts.

To remove an existing LSP you can use something like DG Squeaky
Clean or the new DP Coating Prep Polish. However, if you're going to polish the car anyway that will remove any existing LSP.

Edit: Found the post:http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping.html

Pureshine
09-08-2013, 04:28 PM
It will strip wax but not sealant.

PA DETAILER
09-08-2013, 04:30 PM
i dont see this DG squeaky clean in the AG store?

af90
09-08-2013, 04:32 PM
If you really want to ensure everything is stripped I would definitely polish on top of any dawn/apc mix wash, claying, and any wipedown with IPA/Eraser. Just to ensure.

swanicyouth
09-08-2013, 05:04 PM

This an important distinction not always made. Most waxes are fairly easy to strip from a surface chemically, sealants are quite difficult. There is a vast difference. If your trying to remove wax during a carwash, Dawn would likely work. Most sealants it will not work.

Its not that using it is so "harmful", its just that its not that great. I'm a big believer in using the right product for the right job, so I would only use Dawn to wash dishes. For my car I would use a product that was designed to be used on automobile paint,, like CG's Citrus Red or P21S TAW.

feslope
09-08-2013, 05:30 PM
It will strip wax but not sealant.I've tried to clean a wax applicator pad with Dawn and it was a losing battle.

ScottB
09-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Why not consider a dedicated paint cleansing lotion or polishing ???

ski2
09-08-2013, 06:02 PM
i dont see this DG squeaky clean in the AG store?

It's not on their website yet, but if you call you can order it. Can't remember the exact price, but it war reasonable and only $4 shipping.

Andr3wilson
09-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Why not consider a dedicated paint cleansing lotion or polishing ???

Yes! I agree.

Many have proven IPA not to work at removing old wax and sealant. Mineral spirits/wax and grease remover (solvent) is proven to do so but some may not feel comfortable using them. Honestly a paint cleanser is the best way to remove old LSP and prep for new LSP at the same time. Not to mention it takes no time at all.

ski2
09-08-2013, 06:20 PM

One of PiPUK's tests was with a Spray on Wax and it also was not stripped even by a wash product designed to supposedly strip LSPs.

From PiPUK's second test:

"Ok, polymer sealant so maybe that is too much. So lets start again. This time the area has a spray wax applied to it. No hybrids, nothing fancy, just our standard liquid wax. Picture 1 shows that I have actually applied the shampoo, neat, to the surface. Picture 2 and I have worked it over an area with the sponge. Picture 3 is the first rinse – looks like it might have actually done something this time! Picture 4 is after a second bucket of rinse water is applied – oh dear, some of the ‘stripped’ area is already sheeting off. Picture 5 is after another bucket of rinse water and it really looks although most of the area is behaving just as it was before we did this experiment. What you might notice is that there is a strip on the left where the surface appears to be stripped. So I gave a section of that strip a wipe with IPA – picture 6 shows quite clearly just where I wiped it after I tossed another bucket of water over the area. So, once more, this little section shows that there can be a temporary surfactant residue, this time down to a, so-called, stripper shampoo."

Kacz
09-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't use Dawn to wash any cars or to "strip waxes", but I have seen people's cars that only use dawn to wash their cars and they look fine enough for a non detailer. What I mean is that the plastic looks fine, the clear looks fine, etc...nothing is damaged. (Of course swirled up, but that's not the point or from dawn)

Now people always think that Dawn will damage something on their car and maybe some of the seals do dry out faster over time, but let's not worry about dawn "damaging" anything.

I did do a test to see if it stripped 4 month old Adam's Buttery Wax off my buddy's car and I didn't notice that the beading, sheeting or slickness was any different after using the dawn. However, I did notice a difference after using an APC.

I do believe in working forward to do whatever you can to help break down wax along the way as you're getting ready to polish the car. I do believe a fine polish or paint cleaner is the best way and a good final touch at getting old wax/sealant off.

My two cents.