PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun, tar and couple questions

MadOzodi
06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Used my foam gun for the first time last night. I think I actually yelled "W00t!" out loud when I saw the foam shooting out towards my car. That thing is fun as heck to use. The fact that it's coupled with the quick disconnects makes it even better. When I got done foaming my car I was like, "What? I'm done already?" I wanted to run around my house & shoot everything with foam. :D I washed from the top down but can see that I need to perfect my technique...shooting the neighbor's house with foam isn't something I want to get in the habit of doing, no matter how well we get along.

Here in St. Louis, MO, they've started construction on one of the major highways. They're totally gutting and re-engineering a 10 mile stretch of highway and it won't be finished until 2010. So, after washing my car last evening, I noticed quite a good amount of little tar droplets all over my car. My Pinnacle Tar & Bug sponge is arriving this Friday so I'm covered there. However, how many coats of sealant do I need to put on to make it easier to get that crap off? I'm gonna be dealing with this problem for a while. So far I've put WGDG Spritz Sealant on top of the Klasse twins. After washing with PBSSS in the foam gun and the bucket, my paint felt very clean, but not very slick.

Should I wash again, QD right after washing then add more WGDG Spritz Sealant? I've already clayed before the Klasse twins and my Natty's Red is arriving this Friday too.

MadOzodi
06-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I must ask stupid questions, huh? :(

DanielSwe
06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Man, use some degreaser before rinsing the car with water. It's a tar remover but it usually need 5-10 minutes to eat the tar properly and dissolve it. Check it out, there are all kinds of brands taking care of business in this matter.

Mike T
06-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately I don't think multiple layers and such are going to help. I could be wrong though.
When you see it, remove it, re-layer the area and repeat as needed. Just make sure the area is protected. It will always be a bit of a pain to remove tar.
Just my http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8338/2cents3fo.gif

Al-53
06-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Most solvent and citrus based tar removers and degreaser's are going to remove some if not all of the sealant on there...since you have to let them dwell to disolve the tar....I have used Turpintine...mineral spirits and diesal fuel (which most road crews use to clean tools and trucks) ..it will not harm the paint and cuts it fast...a lot of the tar removers contain the same products...or citrus oils..remove the tar..wash the car and apply your sealant...if it were me I would use a wax like collinite for awhile ..it helps ..and easier than doing Klasse Twins weekly ..use the 476s or fleetwax..pretty rugged stuff...but again once you remove the tar re seal....I had that problem when they re oiled my road..it was hell for 3 weeks....

don't bother claying..you will go thru a ton of clay if it going to be a while for the construction..tar ruins clay fast due the the large grit in the tar...I throw clay out after useing for tar...tar is sand embedded...why take a chance

AL

Brandon1
06-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Degreaser and Diesel fuel like Al said. Then put 1-2 layers of sealant on every time you clean it off.

You could think about that dimondite stuff that you spray on the front end for bug protection, may work the same for tar.

Truls
06-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Car cover?

MadOzodi
06-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the input and suggestions all. I just had the Ventureshield clear bra put on the front of my car last weekend so I'm covered there. When I went out to QD the car last night, I was amazed at all the tiny tar droplets I'd either missed from washing the car 2 nights ago or had picked up in the course of 1 work round trip.

I don't look forward to claying my car each time, so ya, that's out. I may have to invest in multiple Pinnacle Tar & Bug sponges. I'd hate to use a degreaser because the drops are all over the place. I think I counted 10+ on the roof of my car alone last night so I'd basically have to soak my whole car in the stuff.

My Natty's Red arrives today so I think I'll try using that straight after washing the car next week. I honestly hadn't planned on using the Klasse twins + Wolfgang again this year until the fall, to prep for winter. I'll keep y'all posted and hopefully I come up with an alternative to the degreaser/diesel fuel method.