PDA

View Full Version : Etched Rims!! Help!

Willy Wang
09-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Hey AGians!

I had a chance to tackle something out of my league.. and well.. it was pretty out of my league lol. So these rims which are polished aluminum suffered some etching from an acidic wheel cleaner. I got a mothers cone from the store to try to polish out the etch marks but hardly made a dent. I first tried optimum metal polish but proved to be no abrasive enough so I upped it to m105, still didn't do much :( I had the drill and cone spinning on a small section of the lip for 20 minutes and although it lightened the etching, it still did not polish it all out. What do you guys recommend?

forrest@mothers
09-07-2013, 08:18 PM
We see this on a regular basis.

Our go to for restoration of a non-coated, etched rim is our 05142 PowerBall MiniMD with 05150 PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish. you follow that with the regular PowerBall or PowerCone and our regular Mag & Aluminum Polish.

The MiniMD is a much more aggressive foam, and the PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish is far more aggressive than regular Mag & Aluminum Polish. They're made to work together as a system. It'll take the etching out, and then you repolish with the regular products to restore the finish.

AutoGeek, of course, stocks both of these items.

PM me if you'd like for contact info for our tech support folks who can walk you through the use of these products.