PDA

View Full Version : coatings and waxes

Pages : [1] 2

mspaulding1993
09-06-2013, 10:33 AM
im thinking about using a coating on my car. love the look and feel of wax but hate the dust it collects. car is a daily driver, does coatings give the same look as wax and can i use wax over coatings if i want the wax look. use the pinnacle line of wax

Evan.J
09-06-2013, 10:36 AM
If you want the look and feel of a wax but with a coating go with the new DP paint coating.

Detailer’s Paint Coating, nano paint sealant, ceramic paint coating, nano paint coating (http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html)
Detailer’s Paint, Wheel & Glass Coating Complete Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-coating-kit.html)

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Some of the coatings are not slick, yet will not let toppers (waxes etc.) adhere to them, so the topper has a reduced life (I'm talking mostly about Opti-Coat).

However the new DP coating is supposed to be slick AND toppable...seems like you can't beat that (except it is only semi-permanent as opposed to the permanent coating of Opti-Coat).

cleanmycorolla
09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
If you're doing a coating, just do the coating really no need to top it.

mspaulding1993
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
thanks guys ill check into the dp line

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
The new DP paint coating is very slick with added benefit of being toppable is you so choose. I put on two coats of the DP coating.

swanicyouth
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
im thinking about using a coating on my car. love the look and feel of wax but hate the dust it collects. car is a daily driver, does coatings give the same look as wax and can i use wax over coatings if i want the wax look. use the pinnacle line of wax

I'm sorry, I don't think coatings look quite as good as wax. My opinion only. I've done some 50/50 testing in my house with OC on black painted ceramic plates and compared it to Dodo's Blue Velvet Pro. The BVP provided a nicer, "richer" looking surface, period.

Believe it or not, BVP also sheeted and beaded water better than OC. However, this on FRESH wax on paint inside my house. Wax quickly degrades outside, and needs frequent re-application to keep all those "just waxed" properties.

If your looking for good and easy maintenance go with a coating. If your looking for the BEST look, go with a top wax. Wax does have a lot of drawbacks, and dust collection is one of them. But, if your looking for the best possible look, I would stick with a good wax.

If you "wax over" a coating, you loosing the benefits of the coating. It will collect the same dust.

zmcgovern45
09-06-2013, 11:34 AM
22ple VX1 Pro and CQuartz Finest are very slick feeling, and while they don't gather as much dust/pollen it still finds a way to cling to any surface. Coatings provide long lasting durability and ease of maintenance. I will always have a coating on my personal cars. I think they look great, too.

The whole "permanent" vs. "semi-permanent" has never been a concern to me... as far as I am concerned, I will want to polish my car at least every other year. This will remove any coating from the surface, so anything beyond 2 years of durability is just not needed, but that is just my opinion.

mspaulding1993
09-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry, I don't think coatings look quite as good as wax. My opinion only. I've done some 50/50 testing in my house with OC on black painted ceramic plates and compared it to Dodo's Blue Velvet Pro. The BVP provided a nicer, "richer" looking surface, period.

Believe it or not, BVP also sheeted and beaded water better than OC. However, this on FRESH wax on paint inside my house. Wax quickly degrades outside, and needs frequent re-application to keep all those "just waxed" properties.

If your looking for good and easy maintenance go with a coating. If your looking for the BEST look, go with a top wax. Wax does have a lot of drawbacks, and dust collection is one of them. But, if your looking for the best possible look, I would stick with a good wax.

If you "wax over" a coating, you loosing the benefits of the coating. It will collect the same dust.

can coatings be applied before winter then stripped by hand after spring?

zmcgovern45
09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
can coatings be applied before winter then stripped by hand after spring?

What would be the point in this?

mspaulding1993
09-06-2013, 12:02 PM

too cold to wash and wax car between november-april and want the wax look in spring and summer:)

mspaulding1993
09-06-2013, 12:10 PM

too cold too wash and wax here in michigan in winter and want the wax look in spring and summer or can i just wax over top of the dp coating? sorry 1st didnt see my 1st reply

zmcgovern45
09-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Well, you're going to have to find a way to get the car washed regardless of temps. I don't care what protection you have on the car - if you go the entire winter without washing and leave that thick salt residue on the car you are asking for trouble. The go to method for most of us who have to deal with frigid temps is to take it to a coin op power wash to knock off the heavy contamination, followed by a rinseless wash with ONR. Works great!

As already stated - you can top a coating, it just might not last as long as it might if there were no coating applied beneath it. Someone said the DP coating tolerates topping better than others, but I'm not really sure how you can tell because the water will bead and sheet regardless of if you have it topped or not due to the coating being applied.

plus, I'm not sure what people mean when they say coatings don't look as good... this was 5 days after applying 22ple VX1 Pro Coating.
https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/154361_177198762418251_1693859179_n.jpg

About 6 months after applying the coating... still looking good.
https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/428341_10151428757742363_1760925462_n.jpg

This is about 1 year after applying 22ple VX1 Pro Coating... still looking good and beading/sheeting great.
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1157651_10151846575987363_741068735_n.jpg

Desertnate
09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
too cold to wash and wax car between november-april and want the wax look in spring and summer:)

If this is what you are after, just use a good sealant. Products like Klasse SG last about 6~8 months and would probably be better suited than a coating.

mspaulding1993
09-06-2013, 11:48 PM
yes you are right can not leave salt on car, meant wash and wax both. i checked klasse gs out and it sounds like what i want for the winter. thanks for the comments guys and looking at that lexus with 22ple is almost selling me on coatings zmcgovern45