PDA

View Full Version : Just using a DA?

Denali2011
09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Was wondering how many of you just use a DA instead of a rotary? I have never used a rotary and am afraid of messing up paint with them!

DeviousDetail
09-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I only use a DA

HateSwirls
09-06-2013, 09:53 AM
I use both but the rotary is very seldomed used
Only use the rotary to remove sanding marks or deep scratches.
My GG6 is my go to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AG Online

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-06-2013, 10:09 AM
There are many of us here that rely mostly on a D/A. When equipped with the right pad and product you will be suprised at what a DA can achieve.

af90
09-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I think the difference in gloss between DA and rotary is minor enough that a rotary is not necessary especially if you're not comfortable with it.. I'll stick with the DA>

WAXOFF
09-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I use both. The rotary works faster on deep scratches for me. Iv'e been buff for over 30 years so I comfortable with the rotary. Mine is an old B&D 2300 rpm. You jst have to be careful abd feel the paint so it doesn't get too hot.

hernandez.art13
09-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I like Rotary's mostly because that is what I learned on.

I am learning to use a DA, it might also depend on the work you are doing. Polishing paint on a DA will get the job done. (This I do know)

Buffing out wet sanding on repaints you might switch to a rotary however. I am sure it all varies

http://youtu.be/_i_rmKAUa1Y

^ I like how he aligns the pads and disk on the first try :D (really cool)

custmsprty
09-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I just got a Rupes 15 yesterday to upgrade from my pc, one word AWESOME!

Evan.J
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
With the many advancements in technology lately the Rotary is starting to take a back seat. Now thats not to say that it will never be used because in given situations it certainly a go to tool.

When you look at the original PC with its 7-8mm throw and then you look at the Rupes 21 with its massive 21mm throw it just shows you that technology is making detailing easier all while keeping it safe.

Now when you add in things like the Flex 3401 with the forced rotation dual action capabilities that keeps a pad spinning no matter what this is great as well.

The Microfiber Cutting and fishing pads have made attacking heavy defects and wet sanding marks much easier to remove with out the use of a rotary polisher.

The Compounds that are available today are very user friendly and almost finish down LSP ready all with the DA.

Those are my thoughts.

custmsprty
09-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Well said Evan.

:iagree::dblthumb2:

Gen9Rolla
09-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I only use DAs. GG6 for most of the work and a PC with 4" pads for the rest.

Detailing by M
09-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Was wondering how many of you just use a DA instead of a rotary? I have never used a rotary and am afraid of messing up paint with them!
These are two different tools so each of them have there place.
I have 6 buffers that I bring to the job.
You never know what will work.
The DA gets more attention because a DA works very well on Clear Coat.
So right now it's the go to on CC paint.
A rotary is more of a professional tool for more precise detailing.