PDA

View Full Version : Spotting on rubber how to.

Glenn Taylor
09-05-2013, 09:41 PM
I have a 2012 Range Rover that the rubber around the vehicle is spotted. First what causes this second how to get rid of it and finally is there a product to keep it from happening?
I tried some apc, car pro eraser, but it comes right back. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 09:45 PM
I can't tell what that piece is, is it between the windows? Is it really rubber or is it vinyl wrap or painted plastic? Those look like water spots, you can try something like DG Water Spot Remover (or some white vinegar).

Do you wash the car yourself? Does it get sprayed with sprinklers? Unfortunately the black parts of the car get hot in the sun and when you're washing can get water spots pretty fast.

Glenn Taylor
09-05-2013, 09:53 PM
I can't tell what that piece is, is it between the windows? Is it really rubber or is it vinyl wrap or painted plastic? Those look like water spots, you can try something like DG Water Spot Remover (or some white vinegar).

Do you wash the car yourself? Does it get sprayed with sprinklers? Unfortunately the black parts of the car get hot in the sun and when you're washing can get water spots pretty fast.

Its rubber, I wash myself once a week and dry it immediately. No irrigation garage kept.

Does the chemical make up differ greatly from an apc to a water spot remover?

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Its rubber, I wash myself once a week and dry it immediately. No irrigation garage kept.

Does the chemical make up differ greatly from an apc to a water spot remover?

The water spot remover is going to have some acid in it. Could be acetic acid (like vinegar), I'm not sure.

Let's look at the DG MSDS...ok, it doesn't say, so I dunno, I haven't used the stuff, maybe it is non-acid, people say it's good, DG 505.

If you have something like Klasse AIO or even DG 501 I'd say they would take it off and shine that up.

Glenn Taylor
09-14-2013, 05:00 PM
I ended up using a final wipe, that worked really well. When using this product I found that you can not use any pressure while wiping. I used it on all the "rubber" pieces.

cmoneyinc
09-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I ended up using a final wipe, that worked really well. When using this product I found that you can not use any pressure while wiping. I used it on all the "rubber" pieces.

What do you mean by a "final wipe"?

Glenn Taylor
09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
What do you mean by a "final wipe"?

Its a product by 3M or Dupont that body shops use to wipe down right before paint application to remove contaminants.