PDA

View Full Version : Chip'ed Windshield on my New Truck....

EvolutionDetail
09-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Hey guys, yesterday i got MY FIRST EVER CHIP on my brand new Truck, also my first chip ever in my life. (I have had 4 vehicles in total)

So 1st thing i did was call my dealer and see how much the OEM glass cost.... they told me it is $977 FOR THE GLASS ONLY, not including labor.... so that is out of question.

I decided to "REPAIR" it by Safelite.... Well, it is fixed now but there is a scar / damage still can be seen.

Since i am a autogeek, i am OCD with my cars. I am thinking of putting a decal / sticker over the damage.... so at least i wont be looking right at it every day as i drive my car lol.

So heres my question.... what kind of decal WOULD YOU choose to put in the CENTER of the windshield? (That is where my rockchip is, at the center) Feed back please

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 09:26 PM
An Autogeek decal, natch.

Shane731
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Perhaps you can give this a try?

3M Windshield Repair Kit, 3M 08580, auto glass repair, windshield chip repair, glass chip repair (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-windshield-repair-kit.html)

custmsprty
09-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Hey guys, yesterday i got MY FIRST EVER CHIP on my brand new Truck, also my first chip ever in my life. (I have had 4 vehicles in total)

So 1st thing i did was call my dealer and see how much the OEM glass cost.... they told me it is $977 FOR THE GLASS ONLY, not including labor.... so that is out of question.

I decided to "REPAIR" it by Safelite.... Well, it is fixed now but there is a scar / damage still can be seen.

Since i am a autogeek, i am OCD with my cars. I am thinking of putting a decal / sticker over the damage.... so at least i wont be looking right at it every day as i drive my car lol.

So heres my question.... what kind of decal WOULD YOU choose to put in the CENTER of the windshield? (That is where my rockchip is, at the center) Feed back please
Get safelite to replace the windshield, tell them your not happy with it. Your insurance should cover it, tell your insurance your not happy with the repair attempt and you want a new oem windshield. I had the same thing happen and I got a new windshield. I'm on my third windshield as a matter of fact. Also, be sure to tell them that you want oem, they will use non oem if you don't. None of this cost me anything out of pocket, no deductible etc. It is a safety issue so most insurance companies cover the entire replacement cost. Hope you didn't pay safelite out of your pocket.

VISITOR
09-06-2013, 04:20 AM
congrats on the new vehicle :) , sorry to hear about the chip(s). at some point and time, it's gonna happen whether it's on the glass or paint, and there's no way of avoiding it. it seems the more careful we are, the more it will happen... :(

Ramairetransam
09-06-2013, 09:39 AM
just make sure you have glass coverage and smash the windshield and get a new one .

PA DETAILER
09-06-2013, 09:53 AM
congrats on the new vehicle :) , sorry to hear about the chip(s). at some point and time, it's gonna happen whether it's on the glass or paint, and there's no way of avoiding it. it seems the more careful we are, the more it will happen... :(

indeed. on my xterra (just a little over a year old now) i somehow managed to AVOID a windshield chip. sucks. i hate them too. but try not to tailgate. and insurance does cover windshield replacement.

TH3M B0N3Z
09-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Where do you live? In some, if not most, states, if you have full coverage insurance on your vehicle, all the glass is covered and requires no money out of pocket at all. Back when I had my last car, I changed out the windshield two times through Safelite and another company, both free of charge. It's possible that filled in chip could crack further, and if it does, go right ahead with Safelite or whoever else you're interested in. Rock chips are bound to happen, so it's possible you may get another one and get a whole new windshield.