PDA

View Full Version : two part claying question

Pages : [1] 2

edwinwng
09-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I have never clayed a car before and was wondering if there is a need to even dry the car after washing it if you're gonna clay it. I'm not saying to just use the water as a lubricant, i'd still want to use a lubricant but is there any point in drying the water off the car?

Also, after claying with a lubricant do you have to wash it again before applying a wax or sealant? Just not sure if it will bond right if not.

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I clay after washing, using the soapy water, and rinse the clay off in the rinse bucket before kneading (rub your finger over the surface of the clay while it's under water). Then you just rinse the car again and dry.

wompasaurus
09-05-2013, 07:49 PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I clay after washing, using the soapy water, and rinse the clay off in the rinse bucket before kneading (rub your finger over the surface of the clay while it's under water). Then you just rinse the car again and dry.

Your not the only one. I use soap water 90% of the time unless i have extra money floating around ill pick up some onr.

af90
09-05-2013, 09:02 PM
I personally like to dry the car because otherwise it dries before I have time to get around the car and it leads to it drying on the car and I rather use a higher dilution of UWW or ONR than I use for washing. As for the 2nd part I don't, I usually just follow claying with a waffle weave or a high absorbency towel.

DeviousDetail
09-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I had picked up the GG clay holder pad to do my claying with the DA. While it works great and cuts claying time to about 20 min it is extremely hard to get the clay out of the pad after. Also from what I heard using soapy water instead of a lubricant will cause the clay the degrade and prevents further use so you will be using more clay. I just ordered a CG clay mitt and can't wait to try it. Wash and clay at the same time ill take it lol

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Also from what I heard using soapy water instead of a lubricant will cause the clay the degrade and prevents further use so you will be using more clay.

While it's true that car wash will slowly dissolve some clays, most are unaffected.

KillaCam
09-05-2013, 09:41 PM
While it's true that car wash will slowly dissolve some clays, most are unaffected.

Wonder how soapy water works with the speedy prep towel? I feel like this would make claying even faster.

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Wonder how soapy water works with the speedy prep towel? I feel like this would make claying even faster.

I'm sure it's fine...isn't there one that's a wash mitt on one side and clay substitute on the other?

af90
09-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Check out nanoskin. I do think that it holds up better than clay and probably would as well in that instance.

KillaCam
09-05-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm sure it's fine...isn't there one that's a wash mitt on one side and clay substitute on the other?

Maybe. But not the speedy prep. I was thinking using a wash mitt to wash, then immediately going over that panel with the speedy prep towel with a little more soap and water right after, then rinse.

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Maybe. But not the speedy prep. I was thinking using a wash mitt to wash, then immediately going over that panel with the speedy prep towel with a little more soap and water right after, then rinse.

That's the way I'd do it if I didn't have a 5 year supply of clay.

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 10:38 PM

Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html)

Circa40
09-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Anyone re-foam before claying? I find that a thick layer of foam works well as a lubricant, It's a real time saver for me.

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Anyone re-foam before claying? I find that a thick layer of foam works well as a lubricant, It's a real time saver for me.

Yes, that's what I do (foam gun). Wash, rinse, re-foam, clay, rinse, dry.

KillaCam
09-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html)

If I didn't have my speedy prep I would be all over that. Seems like a huge time saver. I'll just try what I have and see if I like it. Will surely save me time and ONR.