PDA

View Full Version : Mytee steamer engine cleaning??

Superman0440
09-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Can I use the mytee for cleaning engines??

Any tips on using the steamer??

Logan Powers
09-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Oh yes. I just used it on mine and it took me maybe an hour (2010 Gti) and used 5:1 dilution PERL. Looked great!

statusdetailing
09-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm not a big fan, and contrary to popular belief, I don't feel like it's actually much safer. And, it's super slow.

That steam vapor can still get into electronics and condense, causing check engine lights to turn on or worse. . .click click. . .car won't start.

I think the safest and most effective way is to actually use cold water from a 1700 psi (or less) pressure washer or even better, a regular spray nozzle.

The best thing to do is to wrap all sensitive parts like carbs, distributers, fuse boxes, alternators etc.

It's not that you can't get great results with steam...it's just not the fastest way in my opinion and not really safer.

Pureshine
09-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I use steam all the time to clean engine bay but like Jeremy said it's not always the best way. with that said I have a Dupray steamer which mainly dry steam so it won't hurt anything. I have never used a the Mytee so not sure how much water comes out with the steam.

statusdetailing
09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I will say this...one of the biggest things ive learned in detailing is that sometimes theres more than one way to get good results. Some guys may have perfected steaming engines without causing damage.. .the same way that other guys use water and get good results and dont cause damage.

statusdetailing
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Sorry. I got way off track with my philosphical mumbo jumbo. As for tips. Id say just be careful around some plastic. If you stay in one spot too long you can bake some plastics. They will get a nasty white look. If its like my vapormaster it should have a water jet feature...might come in handy for really greasy areas.

Superman0440
09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys

DeviousDetail
09-06-2013, 09:24 AM
I tried steaming my engine once. While it did do a great job it took way too long. Now I use a Power washer and some degreaser and then use my air compressor to dry the engine. The thing I use my steamer the most for is to sometimes do quick daily wipe downs to get all the crap off that I collect from the road construction around my house and to clean the interior.