PDA

View Full Version : Air mover/blower for drying carpets

KS_Detailing
09-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Looking for air movers/blowers for drying carpets after using an extractor. I'm trying to figure out how much CFM or HP is needed to sufficiently dry the carpets. At Home Depot they sell a Ridgid 1625 CFM air mover. Would this unit work?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/f370888b-aec1-4b05-8d86-3334e9999485_300.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63503)

Also how do position this type of blower to dry the carpets? In need of help thanks guys!

bill walsh
09-05-2013, 06:17 PM
that would work fine

Shane731
09-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Autogeek has this one:

Shop-Vac Professional Air Mover, air mover fan, carpet drying fan, air blowers (http://www.autogeek.net/shop-vac-air-mover.html)

KS_Detailing
09-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Autogeek has this one:

Shop-Vac Professional Air Mover, air mover fan, carpet drying fan, air blowers (http://www.autogeek.net/shop-vac-air-mover.html)

Anyone have any experience with this unit? Specs says 500 cfm, thats 1/3 of the Ridgid.

Mike Phillips
09-06-2013, 06:18 AM
We use the Shop-Vac Air Mover for all my detailing boot camp classes to force dry the interior after doing extraction work and it works great.

Sometimes on Saturday's I'll work on my truck, for example last Saturday I rebuilt the solenoid on the starter motor. When I first drive my truck into the garage the engine and engine compartment are too hot to "touch".

I place the Shop-Vac Air Mover either under the truck or in the engine compartment and position it to blow air on the area I want to work on and in just a few minutes everything is cool enough to touch and get a wrench on.

Next time I'll take a picture to show what I mean.

Anyone doing any wet extraction interior cleaning should have a small air mover.

:)

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Anyone have any experience with this unit? Specs says 500 cfm, thats 1/3 of the Ridgid.

It might be because it's a lot smaller physically. This came up once before and I suggested one of those floor blowers, and someone laughed at me and said "yeah, but you can't fit that in the car". After that, I looked at one at work and realized they are a lot bigger than you think they are and would be really difficult to get on the floor of a normal vehicle.

EDIT: Besides the fact I looked at the Shop-Vac website and they have an 1600 CFM unit in addition to the 500, here is a visual clue--the 500 CFM unit here at the Geek has a fixed handle and no wheels, while the Rigid you show and the 1600 CFM Shop-Vac unit have extensible handles and wheels. One could draw the conclusion that the 500 CFM unit is physically smaller, although maddeningly they don't show any dimensions.

2old2change
09-06-2013, 06:46 AM
At the local carpet cleaning supply store the carry a adapter for air movers that consist of a plate to place over the fan outlet . This plate has four large hoses attached to it for directing air to multiple areas at the same time. I believe this would be great for reaching different parts of a interior or multiple cars at one time. Didn't want to hi-jack the thread but thought this was connected to the air mover subject.

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2013, 06:49 AM
At the local carpet cleaning supply store the carry a adapter for air movers that consist of a plate to place over the fan outlet . This plate has four large hoses attached to it for directing air to multiple areas at the same time. I believe this would be great for reaching different parts of a interior or multiple cars at one time.

Wow, that sounds like the ticket, one hose for each footwell, as long as the hoses don't move themselves around.

KS_Detailing
09-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks for all the input guys! How do you position these to dry the seats if they are cloth and also to dry the carpets?

KS_Detailing
09-06-2013, 10:54 PM
We use the Shop-Vac Air Mover for all my detailing boot camp classes to force dry the interior after doing extraction work and it works great.

Mike, do you have any pictures of how you set the air movers up for drying?