PDA

View Full Version : Strange THING on roof.

TheFrankenberry
09-05-2013, 02:49 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1825/Roof_1_sm.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1825/medium/Roof_2_sm.jpg

Okay, so what is this!? Just put some lowering springs on the Challenger, and now I see this THING on the roof glaring at me. Paint smooth all around; doesn't catch on my nail; just a tiny, spidery, wrinkly star THING...

jpegs13
09-05-2013, 03:52 AM
Looks like damage from bird poop

ken tuep
09-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Or a small chip that has gotten moisture under it. Looks like there's some rust in there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

jrs1418
09-05-2013, 05:07 AM
I second the rust. Its coming from under and ive seen this before and have one on my car. This should be covered under your factory warranty as long as its not from a rock chip.

geekdout
09-05-2013, 05:48 AM
I agree that it is coming from under the paint and most likely corrosion. I would do everything I could to get the dealership to cover it under the warranty, but in my experience dealerships will do anything they can to not cover paint defects. Maybe you should take it to some local body shops to get their opinion on the defect and if they are willing a estimate to do the repair. The one thing you can count on if you do not take care of it in some way is that it get worse. Good luck with your Challenger.

Mike Phillips
09-05-2013, 06:29 AM
From the looks of the way the paint is bubbled or wrinkled up and what looks like rust, I'd agree with everyone else, it looks like a problem that started under the paint.

What a hassle to have to have fixed.

Love the color of your Challenger. Would like to get something that color into the garage here...

:)

ClayR
09-05-2013, 06:54 AM
I think Ken got it. Look at the center and you'll see a small "rock" chip that has probably let moisture in causing paint bubbling. I like the paint color. Is it a factory color? I don't remember this color being offered. Was the original color white or silver? Just guessing by the color of the sides of the chip.

af90
09-05-2013, 07:23 AM
It's a factory color on Challengers, let us know how it turns out OP if it's rust.

TheFrankenberry
09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Furious Fuchsia pearlcoat was a one-year factory color in 2010 - only 998 R/Ts and 400 SRT8s were made in it. A darker 40th Anniversary color of 1970's HIP (High Impact Paint) option FM3 - Panther Pink on Dodges and Moulin Rouge on Plymouths.

I can inquire at the dealer, but I think I'll definitely stop at the excellent paint shop that properly redid the left rear and rear when I had a minor hit two years ago. Rust I've seen, like on my wife's car, bubbles slightly and looks like cauliflower, so I never considered it. Have to go overseas for an extended time very shortly and would hate to have this worsen.

Well, Mike, I should be returning to the mainland (Pennsylvania) in 12 months time, and will be driving it across country from Seattle for some good ol' USA scenery. I think we could work something out...
:xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the replies 'Geekers.